Save Yorktown's Trees & Woodlands
This petition had 266 supporters
An Important Message for ALL Yorktown (NY) Residents
Why should I care about Yorktown’s trees?
- Trees give special character to our neighborhoods and add to our quality of life.
- Trees absorb stormwater that would otherwise create dangerous flooding, icing and erosion.
- Trees provide a buffer ensuring our privacy and abating noise.
- Trees provide food and a habitat for wildlife.
- And, when the overwhelming majority of residents are concerned about combatting climate change, trees play a critical role in controlling climate, as well as cleaning and filtering our air.
Doesn’t Yorktown already protect its trees?
Yes and No. Last year, the Town Board adopted a new tree law that was supposed to protect our trees. But the 2016 law is much weaker than the law it replaced. It doesn’t do all it should to protect and preserve our trees and woodlands. The current law needs to be revised.
What changes are needed in the 2016 tree law?
- Protect more trees, including Yorktown’s stately old trees and trees on town-owned land.
- Protect wooded areas as well as individual trees.
- Require developers to submit a more detailed tree survey.
- Require compensatory mitigation when wooded areas are clear cut.
- Restore the expert role of our Conservation Board and Tree Commission.
What can I do to save Yorktown’s trees?
Attend the Tuesday, June 20th public hearing on a single amendment to the current tree law that would cover trees on town-owned land. The amendment is an improvement — but it’s not enough. More changes are needed and the hearing is the time to speak up for a stronger, more effective tree protection law. We may not get a second chance. The hearing is at 7:30pm at Town Hall.
Urge members of the Town Board to listen to their constituents. Urge them to go back to the drawing board and, working with community groups, revisit the weakened 2016 law. Remind them that you expect them to preserve and protect our quality of life. It’s their job!
Sign the online petition in support of a stronger tree protection law.
Can my participation in the fight for a stronger tree law make a difference?
Yes it can. In April, when concerned residents spoke up at a hearing to oppose a gutted wetlands protection law, the Town Board listened. It tossed out its ill-conceived and ineffective proposed law.
With your active support and participation, we can do it again in June. The time is NOW to save Yorktown’s trees and wooded areas.
For more information, email email@example.com
Prepared by Yorktown Together -- A group dedicated to the improvement of the quality of life in Yorktown.
Today: Yorktown Together is counting on you
Yorktown Together needs your help with “Save Yorktown's Trees & Woodlands”. Join Yorktown Together and 265 supporters today.