- Commissioner Charles Hall, Commissioner Gary Lee, Commissioner Steve StolteUnion County Board of Commissioners
- Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities TrusteesUnion County Board of Developmental Disabilities
- Kara BrownSuperintendent of the Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities
Save World of Wonders- Union County, Ohio's oldest non-profit child care center
Dear Concerned Citizens,
The Union County Commissioners and the Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities recently made the decision to pursue the removal of World of Wonders (WOW) from the building at 1280 Charles Lane.
WOW’s facility at 1280 Charles Lane was built over 21 years ago, with private funds raised by WOW and a grant specifically designed to build WOW’s daycare center. During this time, the building has been fully occupied and maintained by WOW.
In June of 2016 the County Commissioners and the UCBDD, without a public meeting or referendum, sent notice to WOW that they must vacate the building. The UCBDD and the County Commissioners stated that they would work to find a way so that both WOW and the UCBDD would be able to provide continuous services to the families of Union County. The UCBDD and the County Commissioners also made numerous prior promises and assurances that, should WOW and the UCBDD separate, WOW would receive compensation for the significant equity that it put into the facility and WOW would be given the necessary resources to allow it to continue to thrive.
Unfortunately, these proved to be false promises. WOW has not been offered the resources that would allow it to stay in business. Instead, the UCBDD and the County Commissioners have communicated their intent to forcibly remove WOW from the facility that it built. This will result in the loss of important jobs in the community and over 115 children and 220 parents and caregivers will lose child care services.
· The Union County Commissioners should not be able to side with private businesses and remove a necessary community service from their place of business, without offering an alternative plan or timeline that would allow services to continue uninterrupted.
· The UCBDD should not push to remove a community based organization from its building, thus forcing the community organization to shut down. Both UCBDD and WOW provide necessary services to the children in Union County.
· That all children in Union County deserve quality early education at a low cost and that the UCBDD and the Union County Commissioners should not be involved in shutting the doors on the only non-profit that offers these services in Union county. The shutting of these doors would leave over 115 children without care and over 220 parents and caregivers without a place to send their children while they are at work.
· That the Union County Commissioners should find responsible ways to satisfy the growth of all organizations without causing harm to necessary community services.
We would like to see the children of Marysville being provided with a high quality, early education and care while their parents contribute to the economy by having gainful employment. I feel it is irresponsible for the County Commissioners and the UCBDD to aid in the shutdown of a necessary service being provided to the families of Union County.
Visit WWW.SaveWOW.org for more information
- Union County Board of Commissioners
Commissioner Charles Hall, Commissioner Gary Lee, Commissioner Steve Stolte
- Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities
Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities Trustees
- Superintendent of the Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities
We, the undersigned, are asking you to save World of Wonders Child Care and Learning Center (WOW). We ask that you STOP the process to remove WOW from the building, paid for and built for the exclusive use of WOW that has been fully occupied by our organization for over the past 20 years.
For 30 years WOW, has provided care to thousands of families in the Marysville area as a non-profit early learning center. Our organization, which was the first childcare center in Union County, serves over 115 children currently, with over 30% of those children receiving State subsidized childcare. Our organization is a necessary and important part of our community and without it over 220 parents, 20 employees and 115 children would be without our services.
WOW’s future is threatened as you, the Union County Commissioners and the Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities, have decided to remove WOW from the space, built for and intended to be used permanently by World of Wonders.
We ask that you START supporting all the families in Union County by allowing WOW to have enough time to raise funds to move, and/or by offering a fair settlement for the time and money spent building the facility intended for the sole use of WOW.
If the Union County Commissioners and the Union County Board of Developmental Disabilities does not stop their action NOW, to forcefully removing WOW from its space, you will be leaving the community without a necessary service.
World of Wonders Child Care and Learning Center started this petition with a single signature, and now has 438 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.