Why this petition matters
Petition to the Government of Canada Whereas: The Russian Federation has launched an unprovoked war against the people of Ukraine; The Russian Federation has committed multiple war crimes against the people of Ukraine, including crimes against peace and crimes against humanity; Russian President Putin has threatened all other nations, including Canada, that are assisting the people of Ukraine in their valiant defence of their country; Russian President Putin has put nuclear deterrent forces on alert, which is an unprecedented and dangerous escalation;
The Russian Federation poses a great and immediate risk to Ukraine and her allies; Canada is home to 1.4 million citizens of Ukrainian decent and has a deep and unflinching commitment to the people of Ukraine, such as being the first country to recognize their independence in 1991; Ukraine has supported NATO’s operations in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq; and Ukraine also contributed to NATO's counter-piracy operation Ocean Shield.
We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
- Provide additional bulletproof vests and helmets to the Ukrainian armed forces and territorial defence forces;
- Immediately put the Canadian Armed Forces on high operational readiness in case of rapid deployment;
- Immediately provide further lethal weapons and supplies to the defence of Ukraine;
- Immediately urge NATO allies and Ukraine-friendly countries to close the airspace over Ukraine; and
- Deploy peacekeeping troops in Ukraine, provide military assistance to Kyiv and support the Ukrainian people.