Save the NSW koalas ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔ
0 have signed. Let’s get to 35,000!
This petition calls on the NSW and federal governments to immediately protect every koala in NSW. Both governments recently approved the destruction of koala habitat in NSW.
There are 3 key reasons why we need to act immediately:
- The 2019-20 Black Summer bushfires destroyed about a quarter of koala habitat on NSW public land. Thousands of koalas were burnt or killed.
- The number one threat to koalas is the destruction and fragmentation of koala habitat.
- Without urgent government intervention, a NSW parliamentary inquiry found that koalas "will become extinct in NSW well before 2050." In some parts of NSW and Australia, koalas are already locally endangered or extinct.
This petition calls for koala habitat to be urgently protected and for the NSW koala population to be doubled by 2050.
This petition also calls on Walker Corporation, Lendlease, Hanson Australia, NSW Forestry Corporation, Country Garden and other developers to safeguard koala habitat.
Following the devastation of the Black Summer bushfires, the situation for our koalas has never been more dire. Every koala and every koala tree needs to be protected.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- Peter FitzSimons article: 'Destruction of Appin koala habitat a disgrace' - Sydney Morning Herald
- Peter FitzSimons article: 'Premier, save our koalas' - Sun-Herald
- Read the 42 recommendations of the Upper House Koala Inquiry 2020.
BUSHFIRE-RELATED KOALA VIDEOS
Watch this CNN story on how the 2019-20 bushfires threatened the koala population in NSW: YouTube.com/CNN-Koala-Story
Watch a woman attempting to save an injured koala in South Australia: YouTube.com/Woman-Tries-To-Save-Koala
Petition posted by Jon Dee, NSW Australian of the Year (2010) on behalf of DoSomething: DoSomethingNearYou.com.au
Today: Mik is counting on you
Mik Aidt needs your help with “Save the NSW koalas!”. Join Mik and 27,287 supporters today.