Cannabis Research, Education and Medication in Malaysia
Cannabis Research, Education and Medication in Malaysia
Please sign this petition as support for the government of Malaysia to allow cannabis Medication, Research, Education and to review Capt (R) Amiruddin Abdullah @ Dr Ganja and Muhammad Lukman Mohamad cases (To become referral case for future reference). Our requests as a signer are stated below followed by a short description. #CurenotWar
1) Apply to Federal Court under Defense of Necessity for Capt (R) Amiruddin Abdullah @ Dr Ganja and Muhammad Lukman Mohamad as they were using cannabis to prevent greater harm to their health as well as their family and friends. We request for them to be released or pardoned by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong (YDPA) as their act was to help others and not to harm.
2) Insists that the children and citizens of Malaysia with severe diseases such as epilepsy, glaucoma, cancer, HIV/AIDS, muscle spasms, tumors, seizures, severe pain, severe nausea, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), autism spectrum disorder and others to be given priority and rights to obtain medical cannabis treatment.
3) Insist that the Health Minister and government of Malaysia permits, supports and collaborates with MASA and its team of professionals to form a working committee to conduct medical cannabis clinical research in Malaysia. The psychology clinical research proposed by MASA is to understand how the active compounds Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabinoids (CBD) influence the mental state, emotions and thoughts of a person. All results will be documented and shared to the public in accordance to the Malaysian Health Promotion Board Act 2006.
4) The presumption of trafficking for the possession of 200 grams of cannabis in Section 37(da) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 is inhuman, cruel and outdated. Death penalty should be abolished and the Dangerous Drugs Act reexamined so that medical cannabis would be recognized for its therapeutic properties as declared by the Expert Committee of Drug Dependance (ECDD) of the World Health Organization (WHO). On 2nd December 2020, the Committee for Narcotic Drugs (CND) voted in favor of Recommendation 5.1 which allows access of medical cannabis for patients and for research to expand our comprehension of its medicinal applications and effects. The use of medical cannabis should be permitted under Article 5 of our Federal Constitution.
5) Request the Attorney General’s Chamber to cease prosecution for self-administration and possession of cannabis for approved medical purpose in addition to decriminalize both offenses as jointly recommended by the United Nation and WHO to end discrimination in health care settings.
6) Request for Cure & Care Tampoi to withdraw their police report against the “Malaysia Medical Marijuana” (Triple-M) Facebook page and for the National Anti-drugs Agency (NADA) to withdraw their statement calling all cannabis users "tahi" or shit. Triple-M follows the Medicine (Advertisement and Sales) Act 1956, with the goal of attaining the attention and interest of local doctors, chemists and scientists towards cannabis related research studies. The page also complies with the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 and will provide full cooperation to investigate the true intention of the page that only posts scientific facts and do not “promote” the use of cannabis in any way.
“Malaysia Medical Marijuana” is a proactive community page on Facebook created by MASA team members to share scientific research articles from countries that have conducted studies on cannabis and not to give pressure to or force any party. Medical cannabis related information shared on the page is inclusive of the source and related justifications proving the legitimacy of the finding. The page also acts as an international social platform where professional scientific studies can be shared to the people in compliance to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Act 1998. We do not promote cannabis use; sale; or urge for its legalization. On the contrary, we would like to educate and give awareness to the citizens of Malaysia whom are already vastly venturing into the use of this psychedelic substance to ensure they understand the responsible use and medicinal applications of cannabis as a whole.
Local registered NGO, Malaysia Awareness Society (MASA) was started by a group of doctors, lawyers, scientists, activists, parents and patients who share the same vision and are ready to work together with the new government of Malaysia to start a well-documented and legitimate clinical research using medical cannabis buds. The purpose of this research is for the citizens of Malaysia to obtain the undeniable truth regarding cannabis use for their health and future. National universities who studied the effects of THC and other cannabinoids on lab rats proved it to be safe and capable of regenerating neurons in the brain. But, the setback holding behind this medical breakthrough that could bring us closer to Wawasan 2020 is the support from the government and people. Therefore, MASA would like to instate that we are not following the movement of other countries but demand for an authorized local clinical study for Malaysians in full cooperation with the government and reinforcement from the signers of this petition.
Cannabis users are not criminals but treated as a national threat because the plant is classified under Schedule One of the Dangerous Drugs Act. More lives are destroyed and lost in the pointless battle over a plant that may have been viewed erroneously in the past. It is time for a revolution! We urge for the elected Malaysian government to permit, support and collaborate with MASA to complete the research study as soon as possible.
Thank you very much for your love and support.