Save Darfur - Contact Your US Representatives
This petition had 112 supporters
Write and call your representatives in Congress and the State Department (contact details below), asking them to support US and international efforts to reverse ethnic cleansing and stop attacks against civilians in Darfur.
Ask President Bush, members of Congress, and the State Department to... (as recommended by Human Rights Watch):
* Put increased pressure on the Sudanese government to cease offensive military flights, as outlined in UN Security Council Resolution 1591 (and defined in the UN Panel of Experts report of October 2006) and to end its support (mainly funding and arms) to the militias.
* Push for Sudanese government consent to a strengthened international force with UN elements in Darfur and along the border with Chad to deter further attacks on civilians, monitor the existing UN arms embargo and help implement the Tripoli Agreement between Sudan and Chad.
* Provide technical, financial and logistical support for the urgent deployment of a strengthened international force that includes UN elements in Darfur, and work to obtain support from multilateral and regional organizations and states for deployment of that force. A strengthened international force must include the following elements at a minimum:
-- A mandate authorized under Chapter VII of the UN Charter, including the use of all necessary means to protect civilians and humanitarian personnel;
-- Sufficient troops and military capacity to monitor the UN arms embargo, particularly along the Chad border, deploy in rural areas, and secure key roads for civilian and humanitarian transport;
-- Rapid reaction capacity, including sufficient aerial support, to deter and respond to incidents of violence against civilians;
* Work with other concerned governments to bolster the existing African Union force in Darfur until a strengthened international force is in place through the deployment of additional personnel, equipment, logistical support, and other resources from national and multilateral forces, including attack helicopters to enhance its capacity to protect civilians.
* Provide substantial funds for humanitarian, peacekeeping and other costs of ending the crisis in Darfur, including supporting the African Union Mission in Sudan.
* Support the application of targeted UN sanctions including travel bans and asset freezes (as authorized under UN Security Council Resolution 1591 of March 29, 2005) to Sudanese government officials should they continue to fail to consent to the deployment of a stronger international force in Darfur.
* Support sanctions on those individuals or groups responsible for human rights abuses or violations of the May 2006 Darfur Peace Agreement.
* Demand that the government of Sudan cease further support for ethnic militias, whether they operate as auxiliaries or as paramilitary units and comply with its commitments under UN Security Council Resolution 1554 (2004) paragraphs 6 & 7 to disarm and disband the Janjaweed militias and apprehend and bring to justice Janjaweed leaders and members responsible for human rights abuses and war crimes.
* Support the expansion of the arms embargo provided for by UN Security Council Resolution 1591 to cover all of Sudan, not just Darfur, and the establishment of a nationwide mechanism for monitoring and enforcement.
* Demand that the government of Sudan cooperate with the International Criminal Court and effectively address accountability for human rights abuses, war crimes and crimes against humanity in Sudan.
You may find the contact information for your Representative or Senator at: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/.
You may also contact the State Department by writing to the Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, at US Department of State, 2201 C Street NW, Washington, DC 20520; head of African affairs at the State Department, Jendayi Frazer, at firstname.lastname@example.org; or the U.S. mission to the United Nations at email@example.com.
You may write to President George W. Bush at the White House, Washington, D.C. or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SERIOUSLY. MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. WRITE A LETTER, SEND AND EMAIL, MAKE A PHONE CALL.
Today: Nathan is counting on you
Nathan Schuett needs your help with “Save Darfur - Contact Your US Representatives”. Join Nathan and 111 supporters today.