Save Church Street
This petition had 509 supporters
Plans are currently being developed to tear down historic St. Thomas Parish and the park on 18th and Church St. and replace them with a major residential building and a large new church structure.
Many neighbors are concerned about this plan because of one or more of the following reasons:
- We believe in historic preservation, and want to protect a place where Presidents Roosevelt, Truman and Johnson worshiped.
- We support the preservation of green and open spaces, including the park on 18th and Church.
- We love the charm and uniqueness of the Dupont Circle neighborhood and believe this plan will negatively affect its character.
- We have serious concerns about the environmental impact on the neighborhood’s light and air quality.
- We have serious concerns about the traffic and parking on the neighborhood streets.
- We have serious concerns about the impact of the density, height, and mass abutting a residential neighborhood.
We need your help to urge the city government, church, developer and neighborhood to work together to explore a win-win solution for all that will include:
- Respect of historic preservation and the character of the neighborhood.
- Maintaining all or most of the park to preserve a cherished open space in the area.
- A low-impact design that will contribute, rather than detract from, the surrounding community.
Today: Neighbors of St. Thomas Church, DC is counting on you
Neighbors of St. Thomas Church, DC needs your help with “Save Church Street”. Join Neighbors of St. Thomas Church, DC and 508 supporters today.