- Dave JaworskyMayor City of Waterloo
- Melissa DurrellCouncillor City of Waterloo - Ward 7
- Mark WhaleyCouncillor City of Waterloo - Ward 5
- Bob MavinCouncillor City of Waterloo - Ward 1
- Brian BourkeCouncillor City of Waterloo - Ward 2
- Angela ViethCouncillor City of Waterloo - Ward 3
- Diane FreemanCouncillor City of Waterloo - Ward 4
- Jeff HenryCouncillor City of Waterloo - Ward 6
SAVE BASEBALL IN WATERLOO!
On January 16th 2017, the City of Waterloo Council pledged to approve report IPPW2017-003 which proposed to demolish two existing baseball diamonds in Waterloo Park (Diamond No. 1 and No. 2) from their current use to build a proposed festival space.
This policy is a discrimination against the citizens of Waterloo who demand and recognize the importance of sports and its place in our history in our community and society. Scrapping sports and its facilities in the centre of Waterloo is a bad decision and poor policy making.
Importantly, this country is facing a health epidemic; one in three people are overweight, obese and get cancer. Sports is a weapon in the fight to improve our nation’s health. Giving citizens access to public sports has been shown to improve people's overall health. We need to encourage healthy and active lifestyles - and not destroy the culture of Canadian sports which bonds and improves the lives our citizens around our country from coast to coast to coast. Sports has already been taken away from children in the school curriculum, to take away sports facilities and programming in the City of Waterloo is a huge mistake and to undo the investments already made in past decades is bad policy.
People deserve access to sports and quality sports fields. This is a basic human right in Canada and sports and sports facilities need to be invested in.
Please join our call to protect the future of baseball and sports in Waterloo Park.
By signing this petition:
I believe "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." (Olympic Charter)
I disagree with the City of Waterloo's plan to remove baseball diamonds in Waterloo Park and remove its sports programs.
I pledge to support amendments to the current plan and propose to save all the baseball diamonds in Waterloo Park.
Aaron Hornostaj - former San Francisco Giants and Team Canada Baseball player, volunteer coach at Waterloo Minor Baseball Association, proud citizen of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
For more info:
- Mayor City of Waterloo
- Councillor City of Waterloo - Ward 7
- Councillor City of Waterloo - Ward 5
- Councillor City of Waterloo - Ward 1
- Councillor City of Waterloo - Ward 2
- Councillor City of Waterloo - Ward 3
- Councillor City of Waterloo - Ward 4
- Councillor City of Waterloo - Ward 6
SAVE BASEBALL IN WATERLOO PARK!
Proball Sports Agency started this petition with a single signature, and now has 801 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Aaron is counting on you
Aaron Hornostaj needs your help with “SAVE BASEBALL IN WATERLOO!”. Join Aaron and 800 supporters today.