Let's end Size & Physical Appearance-Based Discrimination in Saskatchewan #SizeismSUCKS
This petition had 779 supporters
My name is Hayley Roesler. I personally have experienced shaming, stigma and discrimination when it comes to my body and weight. Although I am finally in a good place in my body acceptance journey, many people are struggling with anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, poor body image, and even suicidal acts/thoughts when it comes to weight, physical appearance, and the discrimination that they face. This Is why I need YOU to join me today to help make size and physical appearance discrimination illegal in Saskatchewan and across Canada. Please sign and share our petition today!
Did you know that under Federal discrimination law, weight is not a protected class? This means that weight discrimination can happen in YOUR workplace, in YOUR medical facilities, and in YOUR schools. WE need to do more to fight size and physical appearance discrimination!
I recently completed my Bachelor degree in Social Work, where I worked and continue to work closely with the body positive movement in Saskatchewan. I am currently a member of the Nourish Team, where we organize events/activities for people of all sizes, shapes, genders, abilities, and backgrounds to gather and celebrate all bodies, and to share the common goal of body acceptance and building a more inclusive community that values all people.
The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission (SHRC) recognizes discrimination in regards to race, gender, sexual orientation and other necessary protected grounds but body size and physical appearance remains absent. You can help us change that by adding your name to this petition to make SIZE and physical appearance a protected ground in the SHRC.
Did You Know...
- 43% of overweight people report that they have experienced weight bias from employers and supervisors.*
- Overweight people earn less than non-overweight people in comparable positions, and obese females suffer more than obese males.*
- Self-report studies show that doctors often view obese patients negatively, and hold stereotypes of them as lazy, lacking in self-control, non-compliant, unintelligent, weak-willed, sloppy and dishonest.*
- More than two of every three (69%) overweight people
report having been stigmatized by doctors.*
- 43% of teachers agreed that “most people feel uncomfortable when they associate with obese people".*
- 92% of adolescents report that they witness their overweight and obese peers being teased at school.*
JOIN US! Sign this petition now! Thank you for your support.
Today: Hayley is counting on you
Hayley Roesler needs your help with “Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission: Let's END Size & Weight Discrimination in Saskatchewan NOW #SizeismSUCKS”. Join Hayley and 778 supporters today.