Save the Original Selby Library
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
The original Selby Public Library, a.k.a. G.WIZ building is under threat of imminent demolition.
We are asking the City of Sarasota and the Sarasota Bayfront Planning Organization (SBPO) for an unbiased and professional evaluation of this architecturally significant building to determine how to repurpose and re-use it in the best interest of the citizens of Sarasota.
The original Selby Public Library was designed by master architect Walter Netsch in 1976. Mr. Netsch was a principal star of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, whose body of work has achieved great international acclaim. Sarasota should be proud to have such an exceptional example of his work. The Library—with its trapezoidal shapes suggesting sails—was positioned to be compatible with the neighboring Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall and Hyatt Hotel, together overlooking Sarasota Bay. In 1998, the library moved to a larger building on First Street, downtown. G.WIZ remodeled the building as a science museum and opened in 2000.
9-19-18 VIDEO of the first public event about the original Selby Public Library / G.WIZ building’s history, the designer Walter Netsch, and why it is considered "a working work of art." http://bit.ly/2DfZE55
LECTURE: The History of the First Selby Library
PRESENTED BY: Eric Keune, AIA, LEED, AP
Design Director, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
WHEN: Wednesday, September 19, 2018
WHERE: Historic Crocker Church, Sarasota, FL
HOSTED BY: Sarasota Alliance for Historic Preservation
THIS PETITION WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE CITY COMMISSIONERS.
As fiscally responsible citizens, we’re asking Sarasota to do the right thing. Save and repurpose, don’t destroy, a part of Sarasota's rich architectural, historical and cultural legacy.
1. Email the City Commissioners (Commissioners@sarasotafl.gov)
and express your opinion and/or request a meeting at the following individual email addresses:
• Mayor Liz Alpert (District 2) (publicly asked concerned citizens and The Bay group to work with each other and find a way to reuse the building) Liz.Alpert@sarasotafl.gov
• Vice Mayor Jen Ahearn-Koch (At-Large) Jen.Ahearn-Koch@sarasotafl.gov
• Commissioner Willie Shaw (District 1) Willie.Shaw@sarasotafl.gov
• Commissioner Hagen Brody (At-large) Hagen.Brody@sarasotafl.gov
• Commissioner Shelli Freeland Eddie (District 3 Shelli.FreelandEddie@sarasotafl.gov
2. Like our Facebook page and stay up-to-date on this issue
Today: Concerned is counting on you
Concerned Citizens needs your help with “Sarasota City Commissioners: Save the Original Selby Library”. Join Concerned and 1,309 supporters today.