Santa Clara County Vector Control has been conducting late night truck spraying of a pyrethroid-class pesticide (etofenprox) to target mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus (WNV). We ask that they stop this spraying for the following reasons:
· Truck spraying is ineffective
· Pyrethroid pesticides have poisoned people
· Pyrethroid pesticides have been implicated in damaging unborn children
· Exposure to multiple environmental toxins amplifies the health risk
· Some people are more sensitive to toxins
· People aren’t allowed to “opt out”
· WNV is not a major human health concern
· Pesticides can harm wildlife
· Pesticides harm creatures that control mosquitoes
· No Environmental Impact Report was completed
· Americans have been sprayed with harmful chemicals many times before
We want Santa Clara County to stop spraying pesticides, complete an Environmental Impact Report, and encourage nontoxic mosquito control methods.
For the backup information and sources supporting these points, look here:
For the latest updates, see the HAP website and join the meetup.com group:
Please help us with the legal and administrative costs to stop the pesticide spraying. Click Donate Now in the upper right corner of the website. HAP wants you, your family, and our community to be healthy!
- Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors
West Nile Virus is not a major human health concern. Stop spraying pesticides, complete an Environmental Impact Report, and encourage nontoxic mosquito control methods.
Healthy Alternatives to Pesticides started this petition with a single signature, and now has 90 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.