The key reasons for maintaining the CCSF Fort Mason Campus are:
1. CCSF has established its presence in both the local and national Art communities by its existence at Fort Mason.
2. CCSF has successfully made an investment in students who have gone on to have careers as artists, gallery owners, small business people, graphic designers, teaching and other art related occupations.
3. CCSF has made an investment in kilns, ventilation systems, photographic equipment, printing presses, etc., costing about a million dollars. This investment would likely turn out to be worthless on the market if the site is abandoned. Also, it will be very costly to remove the special equipment and clean up any hazardous waste, likely costing more than the annual rent.
4. CCSF's presence in the northern part of San Francisco, enhances the college's accessibility to students from the Marina, Richmond, and Sunset Districts.
5. CCSF's Main Campus on Phelan Avenue does not have the rooms nor the facilities to accommodate the students from the Fort Mason campus which accounts for 30% of the art courses offered by the college. Closing Fort Mason would effectively end art education at City College
For all these reasons and more we hope that you will support keeping the Fort
Mason Campus open.
Students to Keep the CCSF Art Program at Fort Mason started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,030 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.