Help Establish Korean Language Classes at Torrey Pines High School in San Diego
This petition had 186 supporters
• Many parents and students of Torrey Pines High School in San Diego, California, have expressed a strong desire that the school should offer a Korean language and culture class as a foreign language elective.
• The U.S. Congress has identified Korean as a critical language to our national security and economic benefits.
• Korea is America’s 6th largest trading partner—a few years ago, the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement (FTA) entered into force—and Southern California is a gateway to Korea for trade and cultural exchange.
• There are approximately 700,000 Korean / Korean Americans living in Southern California, and for most of them, Korean is their primary spoken language.
• Students would benefit from the advantages of reading, writing, and speaking Korean for their future careers and other opportunities in this country and in Asia. And considering the geographical location of our school, it is important that the students of Torrey Pines High School have the opportunity to learn the Korean language and culture.
Please join us in signing this petition to launch Korean language classes at Torrey Pines High School in the near future. Thank you very much for your support!
Torrey Pines 고등학교의 여러 한인 학부모님과 학생들이 우리 학교에 한국어반 신설을 강력하게 원하고 계십니다. 한국어반이 신설되야하는 이유는 다음과 같습니다:
• 미국무성은 한국어를 안보에 중요한 언어로 분류하고 한국어에 능통한 한국계 미국인들을 대거 고용합니다.
• 한국은 미국의 6번째로 큰 무역 파트너이며 한미 FTA 협정에 따른 한국의 경제력 증진과 한국 국가 브랜드 제고에 따른 한국어 위상이 강화되고 있습니다.
• 한인 2세들의 능숙한 한국어 구사력은 그들이 미국 주류사회나 세계로 진출하는데 유리한 경쟁력을 강화합니다.
• 고급 한국어 습득은 한국어 교사와 정규학교에서의 지속적인 교육을 통해서 가능합니다.
Torrey Pines 고등학교에 한국어반 신설을 바라는 이 청원서에 서명을 부탁드립니다. 대단히 감사합니다.
1. Our goal
To establish Korean language classes as part of the World Languages at Torrey Pines High School (TPHS) of the San Dieguito Union High School District (SDUHSD)
2. Why SDUHSD should establish Korean Language Classes at TPHS
· Many Korean language classes in public schools of other Southern California counties such as Orange and Los Angeles are thriving and showing success
· Korean is one of the most popular languages to learn across the globe due to the growth of its economy, IT industry, growing international activities, and even cultural popularity such as tourism and K-Pop.
· In recent years, the number of Korean language learners has increased 140% according to a 2015 LA TIMES report
· TPHS and its community can attract highly motivated students from neighboring cities
· Several experienced administrators and teachers have been preparing to establish Korean language classes in San Diego
· Chinese, Japanese, French, and Spanish language classes have successfully been launched at TPHS
· An addition of a new world language course will bring forth greater diversity that is necessary to create an enriching learning atmosphere in TPHS.
· Students can enhance their multi-cultural experience to contribute and strengthen the local and global society
Today: Sung is counting on you
Sung Kim needs your help with “San Dieguito Union High School District, Torrey Pines High School: Help Establish Korean Language Classes at Torrey Pines High School in San Diego”. Join Sung and 185 supporters today.