Save Alamo Plaza!
This petition made change with 5,901 supporters!
The San Antonio Conservation Society respectfully submits the following:
PETITION TO SAVE ALAMO PLAZA!
This is not about the Alamo. This is about Alamo Plaza.
The recent interpretive plan suggests that the state of Texas is trying to turn the heart of downtown San Antonio into a State park. The plan threatens to:
- Put a fence around the plaza and restrict access
- Move or demolish important historic elements
- Eliminate connectivity with street closures
These proposals are in direct opposition to key concepts in the City Council-approved Alamo Master Plan that pledged to:
- Enhance connectivity between the site and nearby public spaces (like Main Plaza, La Villita, Hemisfair, and the River Walk)
- Repurpose the historic Crockett Block, Woolworth, and Palace Theater Buildings into a visitor center and museum
Great cities have memorable plazas; open spaces within the urban fabric that remain versatile in their use. Great cities embrace their history, preserving their built environment AND their cultural history.
Alamo Plaza is not about barriers or creating a one-dimensional experience for tourists. It is about more than 100 years of freedom to move and parade and communicate in this central place. The plaza can be both dynamic and respectful of its long history as mission, fort, and civic hub - welcoming ALL.
No fences! No locked gates! No vanished historic elements! No street closures! Don’t let the State dictate how you will access and experience Alamo Plaza; it belongs to to all of us!
Sign this petition to keep the plaza open and intact!
Today: gayle is counting on you
gayle spencer needs your help with “San Antonio City Council: Save Alamo Plaza”. Join gayle and 5,900 supporters today.