Ban shark fin soup in Sackville , New Brunswick, Canada
This petition had 532 supporters
We are a student group working towards the ban of shark fin soup in Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada. Many people on the East Coast of Canada don't think this practice happens here because we have less of a market for it. This is not the case.
- At least 1.3 million sharks, many listed as endangered, were harvested from the Atlantic in 2008 by industrial-scale fisheries unhampered by catch or size limits
- Of the 21 species found in the Atlantic, three-quarters are classified as threatened with extinction.
- Approximately 38 million sharks are killed every year for the fin trade
- Predator loss leads to unbalanced ecosystem, and collapse of food webs. This in turn can have massive impacts on fisheries and coastal communities.
- While you may not care that there are less big bad sharks in the oceans, their absence can seriously affect fishing industries and the people that rely on them.
Today: Alexandra is counting on you
Alexandra Ross needs your help with “Sackville Town Council: Ban shark fin soup in Sackville , New Brunswick, Canada”. Join Alexandra and 531 supporters today.