Support Diversity Requirement at Rutgers University
This petition had 327 supporters
We are the Cultural Competence Coalition, a group of students and organizations with the aim to include a Diversity Requirement to the core curriculum at Rutgers University. This Diversity Requirement would be in the form of a minimum 6 credits in the areas of, but not limited to, race, gender, class, religion, and sexuality. We believe that a diversity requirement is necessitated by our diversity and long history. It is important to be educated on the history of those differences from us in order to acquire a sense of tolerance and build a more inclusive society. We have formulated a list of the demands for the Rutgers University Administration to effectively implement these changes:
That the Diversity requirement is implemented university wide and will span all schools and disciplines of study.
That this requirement constitutes 6 credits, but not add to the current credit hours of students:
- this requirement will fall in agreeance with Recommendation III-1 of the Core Curriculum Evaluation Committee, which reads, “A diversity requirement should be added to the Core Curriculum without adding additional credit hours to the Core.”
That this requirement should be comparative, and based off of themes such as, but not limited to, race, gender, class, religion, and sexuality.
- The list of themes will be implemented with full student feedback.
- That, whatever the logistical means toward achieving this requirement, it should have this desired effect:
- to be aware of our own cultural identity and history, as well as that of others, and to understand how and why that affects our ability to communicate, work with, and learn from those who have customs, backgrounds, histories, and viewpoints different from our own. This requirement should stress the understanding of inter and intra cultural differences and interactions, and how and why they are influenced by one another.
- to equip all students with a concrete knowledge of the presence of oppression and unbalanced social power systems in America, and with an understanding of the mechanism of historical and especially current oppression or marginalization by more privileged social groups.
- to increase empathy and appreciation among all Rutgers students for all marginalized or oppressed cultures and social groups, whether these groups be defined by language, religion, race, ethnicity, country of origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic status, or any other social grouping.
That every department, in every school, offer a course that teaches what it means to be Culturally Competent in their respective field.
That representatives of the Cultural Competence Coalition be given measures of participation and authority in the logistics of this requirement with faculty, including review, suggestion, and implementation, so that we can guarantee that our previous demands are safeguarded and not misinterpreted.
Today: Cultural Competence Coalition is counting on you
Cultural Competence Coalition needs your help with “Rutgers Senate: Support Diversity Requirement at Rutgers University”. Join Cultural Competence Coalition and 326 supporters today.