- Councillor Denise HylandLeader of Royal Borough of Greenwich Council
Restore free parking behind Eltham Station by removing charges on western Glenlea Rd
I/We, the undersigned, request that the introduction of pay and display parking on Glenlea Road to the west of Westmount Road should be reversed and free parking reintroduced. There are no residents facing on to this section of the road and the pay and display parking has simply shifted commuter parking to elsewhere in the area, so this change in classification has actively made life worse for Eltham residents. In addition Eltham residents should be able to use these spaces to shop in the area (especially on a Saturday) protecting and promoting our vibrant community.
- Leader of Royal Borough of Greenwich Council
Councillor Denise Hyland
I am writing to formally request that the Council changes policy and restores free parking to the western part of Glenlea Road.
I know that the introduction of pay and display parking on this section of road was intended to help address the Council's budget deficit and you set the charges at a level that it was considered would not cause a mass displacement of cars to other parts of Eltham, however, the experience of the last month suggests the Council got this judgement wrong. In my opinion, there is no shame in changing course if the results suggest that the policy is not working correctly and I hope that you will act sooner rather than later as the policy is reducing the standard of living for local residents in a number of ways:
1. Residents of Eltham Park Gardens, Glenesk Road (north of the railway) and other neighbouring roads now face serious parking problems outside their homes which have been directly caused by the reduction in parking places for commuters and other local residents. A return to free parking on this section of road, where there are no residents would clearly help address this problem.
2. Shops on Westmount Road are reporting complaints from customers about parking. These complaints are mirrored by those of people who wish to use Eltham Park South's cafe and where the car park is often full or closed. I am particularly concerned that new businesses like Pottery on the Parade should be able to welcome parties on a Saturday which looks difficult under the current arrangements.
3. Workers based at Eltham High Street find it hard to park now. SE9 magazine recently ran a slightly jokey article about how Council employees are getting round this problem, however, the joke relied on an acceptance among readers that the Council was making it much harder to park in and around Eltham.
As I wrote earlier, I don't believe that there is any shame in admitting where a policy is not working and I hope you are a strong enough Leader (together with being a local resident) to see that a simple restoration of free parking on the western part of Glenlea Road will improve living standards for local residents without costing the Council any serious amount of money (given what appears to be the low level of parking on this road).
I hope to hear from you soon.
Spencer Drury started this petition with a single signature, and now has 319 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Spencer is counting on you
Spencer Drury needs your help with “Royal Borough of Greenwich: Restore free parking behind Eltham Station by removing charges on western Glenlea Rd”. Join Spencer and 318 supporters today.