Lift RIMSD Counterproductive Backpack Restriction
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
We, the undersigned students and community members of Rock Island-Milan School District 41, petition for immediate revocation of RIMSD counterproductive backpack/bag restrictions. Bag restrictions increase stress and create safety hazards. Bags enable students to organize and transport books, school supplies, and feminine hygiene items they need throughout the day. Loose items dropped on the floor create skid/tripping hazards. Bags under desks do not create a space issue. Restricting bags simple frustrates efforts to organize work supplies in a compact location and quickly transport items needed for the work day.
Restricting bags won't prevent students from bringing in “inappropriate and illegal items”. Many items can easily be concealed and will easily pass through security systems. Videos demonstrating how to do this are readily available.
Fostering fear and chronic stress is counterproductive. The adverse impact of chronic stress is well documented. The below excerpt from ‘12 Effects of Chronic Stress on Your Brain’ by Deane Alban list some of the effects:
Some side effects of stress that impact your mental well-being include:
- excessive worry and fear
- anger and frustration
- impatience with self and others
- mood swings, crying spells or suicidal thoughts
- insomnia, nightmares, disturbing dreams
- trouble concentrating and learning new information
- racing thoughts, nervousness
- forgetfulness, mental confusion
- difficulty in making decisions
- feeling overwhelmed
- irritability and overreaction to petty annoyances
- excessive defensiveness or suspicion
- increased smoking, alcohol, drug use, gambling or impulse buying
*People outside of RIMSD are welcome to copy and modify for their own use.
Today: Spencer is counting on you
Spencer Mar needs your help with “Rock Island-Milan School District: Lift RIMSD Counterproductive Backpack Restriction”. Join Spencer and 523 supporters today.