No Privatisation of the Jenolan Caves
This petition had 448 supporters
The Jenolan Caves are truly remarkable and an important element of Australia’s Heritage.
The Jenolan area is:
• One of the larger inter-connected cave systems in Australia.
• One of the earliest cave areas to be placed under public management anywhere in the world.
• Known throughout the world as one of Australia’s greatest natural features and often seen almost as a symbol of Australia.
• One of the most striking and beautiful series of caves open to the public anywhere in the world.
• A repository of natural history of great significance, including the caves themselves, the karst landscape, fossils, flora (including some endemic species) and fauna.
• A similar repository of cultural history and artefacts, few have received adequate notice.
• Almost certainly the first series of caves in the world to be lit by electricity and the site of Australia’s first hydroelectric generator.
Given this range of features, one can only conclude that Jenolan Caves are an outstanding part of our national heritage whether considered from the natural or cultural perspective.
Privatising the Jenolan Caves will result in a degradation of their unique qualities and increase inappropriate developer pressure.
Today: Bruce is counting on you
Bruce Welch needs your help with “Robyn PARKER, Minister for the Environment, and Minister for Heritage: No Privatisation of the Jenolan Caves”. Join Bruce and 447 supporters today.