Fairness in income support for the self employed during the Coronavirus crisis

0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!


Self Employed income support which has been put in place because of the Coronavirus crisis should cover 95% of self employed workers. We believe that a far greater percentage than the remaining 5%  will not get any support because they have not been trading for a full year or the average of their 1 to 3 years of trading figures shows a loss. The grant is only paid for companies showing a profit of trading figures between 1 to 3 years. Many businesses invest heavily in the early years of trading so under this scheme, many of those who are in their first 1-4 years of trading are likely to receive no income support other than Universal Credit. 
The Chancellor addressed all self employed people when he said ”You have not been forgotten. We will not let you behind. We are all in this together.". It certainly feels like a far larger percentage than 5% have indeed been left behind and we call for a review of our situation.