Rise For Justice
Almost one billion women and girls suffer violence in the world. This is the biggest war ever against any community, and it goes on within our homes and communities.
It has almost been a year since we all rose together against violence. Last year on 14 February, one billion people in 207 countries rose and danced to demand an end to violence against women and girls.
But gang rapes, molestations, dowry deaths, abuse…. and many more such violence against women have continued.
We are not going to let that drag us down. We will rise again this year and this time we shall rise for Justice. On 14 February 2014, we are escalating our efforts, calling on women and men everywhere to RISE, RELEASE, DANCE, and demand JUSTICE!
ONE BILLION RISING FOR JUSTICE is a global call to women survivors of violence and those who love them to rise for justice for all survivors of violence against women and girls. It is a call to survivors to break the silence and release their stories – politically, spiritually, outrageously – through art, dance, marches, ritual, song, spoken word, testimonies and whatever way feels right.
Sign this pledge to rise and be a part of the One billion people across the world who will rise against justice on the 14th of February 2014. Tell us why you are rising - Leave your message in the comments box "I am rising because..."
Last year's rising in South Asia was vibrant, full of energy, and propelled our ongoing activities throughout the year. This year we will also continue campaigning for a just society and raise issues against patriarchy and all forms of discrimination.
Here is a list of things you can do -
- Speak your story out loud for the first time and be heard.
- Gather in your communities and learn about its particular violence against women issues, including exploring what its root causes are.
- Be in discussion in your communities about what justice means to you in your context.
- Prosecute governments responsible for violence against women and demand reparations and apologies.
- Hold colleges accountable for not prosecuting rapists on campuses.
- Demand more humane working conditions, and protest against corporate greed that keeps women in poverty and subject to economic violence.
- Shame and blame religious institutions for childhood sexual abuse, or for being obstacles to women’s rights.
- Learn about justice by studying the roots of patriarchy.
- Focus on mining, militarization and trafficking, all of which instigate violence towards women.
- Organize women’s courts and flash courts outside courtrooms
THE LIST IS ENDLESS. GROW IT WITH US
The One Billion Rising Campaign (OBR) is a global campaign:
• It is an invitation to talk, use songs, and other forms of communications to ensure that women are free from any form of threat, abuse, sexual violence, sexual harassment
• It is a call to all peoples - women, men, diverse gender identities and children across all ages, cultures and sites, to refuse to live with any form of violence against women and girls in all their diversity
• It is a refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given, and to work for justice, love and peace
• It is an act of global solidarity.