Stop halfway house closures
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
We are sending this petition on behalf of the female inmates at the Coleman Correctional Facility Satellite Camp. This facility is part of the larger Coleman Complex where a sexual harassment lawsuit involving hundreds of current and former staffers is currently pending a $20 million settlement, the largest such case of its kind in history. While the harassment was ongoing, 4 senior executives at Coleman received bonuses, One of the Coleman officials, Tamyra Jarvis, the warden at the facility, received performance awards totaling $34,500 during the past two years before retiring in January. Sandra Parr, a vice president of the national union of prison workers, said the Coleman bonus recipients were made aware of the deep problems at the prison but "did nothing to fix anything.''
Problems at Coleman continue, this past August 22, a corrections officer was arrested for taking bribes and supplying drugs to inmates. The following issues have worsened requiring urgent action:
· Pre-release placement in Halfway Houses has been cancelled for female inmates while male inmates continue to receive this opportunity
· The amount of food has been reduced and inmates are being fed expired food
· Medical service has been reduced and inmates are being provided expired medications
· The facility has developed mold which has not been treated properly, simply painted over
· Female workers are doing physical factory labor resulting in injuries
· Reduced staffing levels have led to longer visitation processing and long wait times
Today: Jennifer is counting on you
Jennifer Maurello needs your help with “Rick scott: Stop halfway house closures”. Join Jennifer and 70 supporters today.