Governor of Puerto Rico: Solicit the resignation of the PREPA director Ricardo Ramos
This petition had 890 supporters
The recent passing of Hurricane María has left the island with no power and a broken infrastructure. Still, after almost 30 days from the storm, almost 90% of the island is still without power and no progress has to be seen yet. With this passing crisis, we have been witness to the incompetence of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) director Ricardo Ramos. His incompetence with the management of this crisis is a direct reflection upon the government of Ricardo Rossello Nevares. We the people, demand the resignation of Ricardo Ramos as director of PREPA and to name a multisectorial board composed of past directors, consultants,and union leaders to administer such agency during this disaster.
The following is a list of issues that must be adressed to consider the resignation of Ricardo Ramos:
1) The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) declined to ask for help from mainland electric utilities in the days after Hurricane Maria, instead turning to a small Montana-based contractor to carry out grid restoration practices.
2) Volunteer workers from many countries had offered to help in the rebuilding of the energy infrastructure but were also been turned down.
3) After lying about being in contact with The American Public Power Association (APPA), the association that groups 1,1000 power companies, they have confirmed that indeed mutual assistance programs were not activated because they were never contacted. They also confirm that PREPA had already contracted with Whitefish Energy by the time the trade group convened a conference call to coordinate aid.
4) Ricardo Ramos excuse for not asking for help was that he did not have any cellphone service, email, or internet, while working from the Government Operations Center that has always had this service at its disposal. "If we wouldn't have lost communications the day after Maria, I would have called mutual aid, and I would have contracted Whitefish as well," said Ramos, who said the island's devastated communication system meant he had no access to email until Friday, almost two weeks after the storm. <---- just this lie should be a reason to ask for resignation.
5) Ricardo Ramos has refused to power certain units (1 & 3) from the Palo Seco Energy Plant with the excuse that they are broken down. But local union leaders with direct knowledge and expertise, have always maintained that the Palo Seco plant is fully functional and that activating units 1 & 3 would stabilize the system which has already failed 4 times.
6) Ricardo Ramos has been absent from many of the situation reports and seems to be lost in the entire process, not allowing experts to consult him or being upfront about asking for help.
We know that during these hard times, it is important to have faith in our government institutions and essential service agencies. The people are already tired of listening to our leaders lie and demand them to be held accountable for their actions, misactions or negligence.
GOVERNOR OF PUERTO RICO RICARDO ROSELLO NEVARES, ASK FOR THE RESIGNATION OF RICARDO RAMOS AS DIRECTOR OF PREPA NOW!
Today: People is counting on you
People Puerto Rico needs your help with “Ricardo Rossello Nevares: Governor of Puerto Rico: Solicit the resignation of the PREPA director Ricardo Ramos”. Join People and 889 supporters today.