Remove the speed humps on Burke Street, Alice Springs!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Hello community members! As you are most certainly aware, there are 7 speed humps on Burke street. Although the original purpose for these speed humps was to slow traffic, it seems to cause more harm than good. Many people speed because it causes less effect in the car. This causes damage to vehicles, and is hazardous for those in the area. Others drive painfully slow to where it can take quite a while to get to the end of the street.
Additionally, these speed humps cause additional, unnecessary stress to our vehicles, diminish fuel economy, and encourages speeding once people exit Burke Street. They also make it very difficult when hauling sensitive items. Here are 10 reasons why speed bumps are harmful, pulled from the Citizens Rebelling Against Speed Humps (CRASH) website.
1. They are detrimental to the environment, increasing pollution by forcing cars to slow well below the speed limit and then accelerate away.
2. They increase noise levels where they are implemented. Not just by engine and brake noise from people slowing down and speeding up, but also from trucks and lorries carrying loads that get bounced around.
3. They cause damage to vehicles, particularly sports cars (even at low speed).
4. They slow the response times of emergency vehicles.
5. They cause discomfort and back injury to drivers and passengers. This also includes those traveling on buses who may be walking down aisles or using the stairs, causing them to fall and injure themselves.
6. They cause vibration when vehicles navigate them and send shockwaves through the ground. This has been proven to damage nearby properties. In fact, the official UK regulations state that they may not be implemented anywhere within 25 meters of bridges, subways or tunnels.
7. They often divert traffic to alternative residential streets.
8. They cost drivers money by using more petrol and brake pads in addition to the damage caused to suspension, oil sumps and exhausts etc. This often makes cars more dangerous.
9. When vehicles drive over them with their lights on, this points the dipped beam up to eye level. This not only causes nearby houses disturbance, but also gives the illusion of the headlights being flashed, dazzling and causing confusion to other motorists and often causing accidents.
10. They are a substitute for active enforcement, even though they do not even slow down most vehicles.
- See more at: http://www.joincrash.com/why.aspx#sthash.5WujuQzm.dpuf
The Alice Springs Town Council has voiced that if we want to remove these speed humps, (Yes! It's possible!) we need to voice our concerns by signing this petition! So if you live on Burke Street, Reus Court, or surrounding streets affected by these speed humps, please sign this petition showing your support to remove the speed humps. Tell your neighbors, get involved, make change happen!
Today: Burke & Reus Court is counting on you
Burke & Reus Court needs your help with “Rex Mooney: Remove the speed humps on Burke Street, Alice Springs!”. Join Burke & Reus Court and 29 supporters today.