Revised Walton Proposal still overdeveloped! Say NO again!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
As you may remember, last summer there was a proposal to build 24 townhouses at the corner Hastings and Walton Avenues (Walton Shopping Center) here in Pointe Claire. We worked together as a group to fight this plan and won, however the developer has come back with a revised set of plans. This time he is asking for 20 townhouses in five blocks. (The plans are available for viewing in the City Clerk’s office or you can download them at: https://www.pointe-claire.ca/en/demolition-committee
While there has been some changes, there are still a number of issues with the project, including:
1. Block 4 of the development currently does not face the street and actually looks into the facing neighbor’s front and back yard. This same block of three townhouses is also too close to this neighboring property at a distance of 36 feet (12 steps). This is in direct violation of By-Law PC-2787, Chapter 15, Section 15, paragraph 4 (pages 47).
2. All townhouse buildings will still be 4.5 to 6.5 feet taller than the nearest houses. This may not be a problem if it was one home, but with 20 new townhouses that much taller, it will definitely heavily impact the look and feel of our historic neighborhood.
3. Too little space has been left between the city-owned pathway that divides the developer’s two properties. By-Law PC- 2775, Appendix 3, RE 27, requires a side setback of 7.5 m (24.6 feet) between the property lines, including between public pathways (city property) and townhouse properties. Right now, the last building in Block 3 is only around two meters from the public pathway.
4. There must be a fence and proper lighting provided for the public pathway. (The stairwells of Building 3 pose a security risk to the passing public, as they are too close the pathway.) By installing this fence, the city will be cutting off access to Block 4 of the development. If access to Block 4 is given, it will represent a hazard for Block 4 residents and pedestrians and cyclists alike as it will be a blind entry to the pathway. (No other pathway in Pointe-Claire has a side access from a property.) In addition, no plans have been included for the extension of the pathway to Braebrook Avenue, which must be added.
5. The visitor parking near Block 1 has been placed below ground but without a roof. This will be right next to the green space, which could be a danger to children and people in the public park next to Block 1. We must have at least a fence around the area, or at best a different location for these visitor parking spots.
6. A development of this size in the area will still cause the same problems we were concerned about with the last proposal! There will still likely be a large increase in traffic and parking problems with up to 40 more cars in the neighborhood. In addition, there will be up to 40 more garbage bins on the streets of the area for pick up each week (up to 28 on the short Spartan section alone!).
Once again, the public needs to speak out to make sure the city knows we do not want this type of development in our area! If you want to let the city know you are against such a development, you can do one or all of the following:
· Attend the Demolition Committee meeting that will take place on January 31st at 7:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber at City Hall, 451 Saint-Jean Boulevard. At this meeting, the committee will approve or deny these most recent plans for the Walton Development. This will be the most important meeting to attend as well as any appeal meetings!
· Sign our online petition at change.org.
· Send a letter of complaint or concern to City Hall. (See the Walton Development Awareness Group Facebook page for a letter template.) You can deliver your letter in one of three ways:
o Print, sign and scan a version of the letter to the City Clerk at the following email address: email@example.com and to the demolition committee members:
- Paul Bissonnette firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eric Stork email@example.com
- Brent Cowan firstname.lastname@example.org
o Print and sign a version of the letter and drop it off at the city at one of the following addresses for us to deliver:
§ 109 Dieppe Avenue
§ 137 Empress Avenue
o Send or drop off a copy of the letter directly to the City Clerk’s Office at this address:
Legal Affairs and City Clerk’s Office
Att: Danielle Gutierrez
Assistant City Clerk
451 Saint-Jean Boulevard
Pointe-Claire, Quebec H9R 3J3
Please share this information with anyone in the area who you feel you feel is affected. Look for notifications and further information posted on our Facebook page: Walton Development Awareness Group. Also, feel free to contact us if there is anything you can do to support this initiative via Facebook or at email@example.com]. We would really appreciate your support and signature – every voice counts!
DUE DATE FRIDAY JANUARY 25TH FOR LETTERS AND EMAILS
Fellow Residents of the Lakeside Heights
& Northview Districts of Pointe Claire
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!