There are numerous reasons why it is important to repeal Article 1 Section 32 which states "a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman. b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.":
1) Because marriage equality will benefit the state of Texas by creating stronger families and stronger communities.
2) Because it stands in contradiction to Article 1 Section 3 "All free men, when they form a social compact, have EQUAL rights, and no men, or set of men, is entitled to exclusive seperate public emoluments, or PRIVALEGES, but in consideration of public services".
3) Because it stands in contradiction to the 14th amendment of the constitution "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the PRIVALEGES or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, LIBERTY, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the EQUAL protection of the laws."
4) Because numerous laws have been overthrown, and the sense of community that was created in overturning those unfair laws was profound (enough to start countries and expand nations). Our hope is that repealing Article 1 Section 32 will be the first stepping stone on the path to a new era in TX and the U.S., much in the same way that the Jim Crow laws being overturned paved the way for Martin Luther King and Barack Obama.
5) Because if twitter can start a revolution in Egypt, there is no reason we cannot spark a revolution HERE and NOW.
6) Because definitions of "marriage", "equal", "right", and "privalege" do not support discrimination.
Marriage - the state of being united to another person as a usu. contractual relationship.
Equal - of the same measure, quantity, value, quality, number, degree, or status as another; impartial; to be identical in value to
Right - qualities that constitute what is correct, just, proper, or honorable; just action or decision: the cause of justice.
Privalege - a right or immunity granted as an advantage or favor esp. to some and not others