Petition Closed
Petitioning City of Las Cruces Mayor Ken Miyagishima

Remove Barriers to Housing for Homeless Families


We bemoan the skyrocketing numbers of families becoming homeless, while little-known rules and policies implemented by our nation's housing agency--HUD--create and perpetuate homelessness. Even the relative surge of federal stimulus money is not meeting the needs of the most desperately in need of housing assistance.

Among the most egregious example, a family of 5 children under the age of 7 and their pregnant mother living in a 13' dilapidated camper in Las Cruces, NM were deemed "not absolutely homeless" by those giving out housing assistance stimulus funds. To further their plight, the mom's arrearages from her previous state of residence (with an estranged abusive spouse) will keep her from qualifying for public housing for at least 10 years.

The Las Cruces Mayor, Ken Miyagishima, has offered to help. He's even provided some financial assistance to the family. But more pressure is needed.

This petition is to urge Mayor Miyagishima to push HUD for changes in their regulations that act as barriers for Tina and her family, and countless other impoverished and/homeless families.

Letter to
City of Las Cruces Mayor Ken Miyagishima
You have expressed justifiable dismay and frustration over the red tape that snags families trying to receive housing assistance. Thanks for your concern.

This petition urges you to push up the food chain--to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, HUD--to urge them to reconsider their policies that cause and perpetuate homelessness for families.

Please contact the office of HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan and ask that HUD revise policies that act as barriers for families needing housing assistance.

And please bring this issue to the US Conference of Mayors for them to join in reshaping our nation's housing policies to better serve those families that will otherwise be homeless.

HEAR US started this petition with a single signature, and now has 170 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.