Relief from Feeding Pigeons: They cause Hypersensitive, sporadic lung diseases and cancer.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
The town board of Hempstead, N.Y., passed a new law on Tuesday, Feb, 6th , 2014 passed a law that prohibits residents from feeding pigeons, ducks, and geese -- a growing problem, many locals complained, that was leaving their cars, houses, and yards covered in bird excrement.
“It’s filthy,” Lara Sessler told CBS New York. “It’s all over our patio, our furniture, our vehicles.”
All it takes is a handful of birdseed to transform any tourist visiting Venice's historic St. Mark's Square into a human perch for a fluttering mass of pushy pigeons.
But a Venetian pigeon's life may now be for the birds: A municipal ordinance banning people from feeding them in the square went into effect May 1, 2008.
In UK: A new law that allows councils to ban activities in public spaces is leading to “bizarre new criminal offences”, which could see homeless people, buskers and people who feed pigeons prosecuted.
Pigeon droppings harbour a fungus that could lead to hardening of lung tissues in humans and controlling the infection in the birds will help in reducing the incidence of lung diseases. Some patient even land up on ventilator support because of pneumonia which is caused by the exposure to such droppings. Even, Childhood vaccination will not necessarily give you prolonged lifelong immunity.
Since the symptoms are similar to lung infections, most doctors confuse it with atypical pneumonia, and many GPs may confuse this for viral or atypical pneumonia. But fever, cough, myalgia, joint pains and shortness of breath are a giveaway. I always keep a high index of suspicion to identify such cases. Pigeon droppings and AC ducts have become a dangerous combination in urban areas. People don’t open windows but airborne particles of pigeon droppings are a major causative factor of HP (Hypersensitive Pneumonitis (HP) or Bird Fancier's Lung is an inflammatory lung condition caused by bird droppings that are highly allergenic).
Histoplasmosis, cryptococcosis, and psittacosis are diseases that can be transmitted to humans from contact with bird feces, but even the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene says that the risk is “small”; people who have compromised immune systems have the greatest risk.
Poisoning pigeons is not a humane method of population control, and research has shown that killing birds disrupts the breeding cycles and actually may increase a flock by up to 15 percent.
Impose a law banning /preventing pigeon feeding in public places.Amend and impose fines and include regulation in the Birds and the Animal Act alongside IPC Sections 428 and 429, amend and include suitable provisions to prevent bird feeding alongside Rule 3, of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, (Slaughterhouse) Rules, 2001 and Chapter 4, Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011.
1) Michael Brunton, “Feathered Trends,” Time 30 Nov. 2003.
2) Cornell Lab of Ornithology, “Cool Facts About Pigeons,” Project PigeonWatch, 2007.
3) “Pigeons Reveal Map-Reading Secret,” BBC News, 5 Feb. 2004.
4) Malcolm W. Browne, “How Do You Tell a Chair From a Cat? Scientists Say You Could Ask a Pigeon,” The New York Times 6 Dec. 1988.
5) D. Haag-Wackernagel and H. Mock, “Health Hazards Posed by Feral Pigeons,” Journal of Infection 48 (2004): 307-13.
6) The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, “Facts About Pigeon-Related Diseases,” The City of New York, 2009.
7) The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
8) Sarah Sullivam, “Room With View to Shoo Pigeons,” Townsville Bulletin/Townsville Sun (Australia) 30 Jun. 2005.
9) S. Magnino et al., “Chlamydial Infections in Feral Pigeons in Europe: Review of Data and Focus on Public Health Implications,” Veterinary Microbiology 135 (2009): 54-67.
10) R.W. Delaney, “Pigeon Programming,” Pest Control 73 (2005): 60-3.
Today: Dr Puneet is counting on you
Dr Puneet Chandna needs your help with “Relief from Feeding Pigeons: They cause Hypersensitive, sporadic lung diseases and cancer.”. Join Dr Puneet and 7 supporters today.