Justice for Nodeep Kaur
Justice for Nodeep Kaur
What you need to know:
- Nodeep Kaur is a trade union activist from the Kundli area in Delhi. She has been advocating for farmer rights.
- On January 12th, Haryana police abducted her from her tent at the Singhu Delhi protest camp site. For the past 21 days she has been tortured and sexually assaulted in police custody.
- Nodeep Kaur is currently at the Karnal Jail. She was denied bail.
- She is currently being charged with extortion, rioting while armed, unlawful assembly, assaulting a public servant, extortion, intimidation and attempt to murder. Her sister has said these are “all false charges, she is being framed” because she is a part of labour unions, works for the rights of labourers. And she had been active in bringing over 1,500 labourers to march in support of the farmers movement.
- One in three women worldwide endure physical or sexual violence. We will fight until Nodeep Kaur is free.
- Here is a link to a video where Nodeep is explaining her reasons to protesting. It is due to this video that she was abducted from her tent:
The injustice against Nodeep Kaur demonstrates less than 1% of the injustice and corruption that takes place in India. This story (rightfully) received more media coverage, as Kamala Harris’ niece tweeted about the issue. Yet this goes to show that human rights are still being exploited today.
Nodeep Kaur should NOT be going through this. She should be able to voice her opinion, be treated fairly, be allowed to live her life without fear. Yet she was abducted, abused, sexually assaulted and is being accused and charged for murder and extortion...
MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. MAKE NODEEP’S VOICE HEARD. SIGN THE PETITION. SPREAD THE WORD.
We need to work together and need your support to help raise our voice!
RG from London
Source: Amaan Bali (Twitter)
1. A new draft of bail petition was filed today by Jitendra Kumar, the judge will review tomorrow & will give a new date for the bail petition hearing - UPDATE on 08/02: Punjabi government have finally woken up to Nodeep’s case and have asked HR police to submit the cause notice for human rights violations including assault and sexual harassment done to Nodeep Kaur
2. A third FIR has been filed by police against Nodeep and video evidence has also been submitted
3. The evidence will be reviewed by forensic experts
4. Nodeep’s mother said that her daughter has been assaulted physically and sexually
5. Jitendra Kumar has said that medical evidence has not been submitted yet