Regulate fees for Medical Education in Private medical Deemed Universities in India.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
Respected Committee Members,
University Grant Commission(UGC) on the direction of Madras high court has constituted a 11 member national level ‘fee regulation committee’ to fix the fee payable for MBBS courses run by deemed universities. Accordingly, Committee has offered adequate opportunities for representation to all stake holders including students, their parents and deemed to be universities.
In this regard, we place our submissions in the points given below :
1. Fixation of fees payable for MBBS course in deemed to be universities should be applicable to all deemed to be universities across the country.
2. Uniformity in fees : Apart from the tution fees, few deemed to be universities collect additional amount in the name of eligibility fees, examination fees, university registration fees. There is a need to have uniformity in fees of all Deemed to be Universities and all additional charges should be clubbed with the tution fees.
3. Post implementation of NEET in 2016, Deemed to be Universities have arbitrarily increased the tution fees to the variation of 10% to 50% every year. In the span of last 2 to 3 years, current fees of few deemed to be university colleges have been doubled compared to their fees in 2016. This all had gone unchecked due to unavailability of monitoring of fee regulatory authority for deemed to be universities. Secondly, the required infrastructure, the laboratories, libraries which are already developed during the establishment of the colleges are been re-used, year after year, to provide the required education and knowledge. No doubt, These all require regular maintenance, but not at the cost to such an extent of developing altogether new facilities. Comparatively, similar facilities and infrastructure are also available in private medical colleges who have less tution fees. Whereas in 2016, UGC had fixed the management quota fees to Rs.11.50/- lakhs per year in deemed to be universities, this was neither implemented by these universities nor monitored by UGC.
4. There are deemed to universities like Manipal, PIMS Loni and all Deemed to be universities in Karnataka having same infrastructure, are providing the high quality of education and knowledge at the low tution fees. Further, the cost incurred for medical education in foreign countries is also less than the Deemed to be universities in India.
5. The objective of this deemed to be universities was to engage in areas of specialization with proven ability to make distinctive contributions for higher education, leading to excellence and innovations and to provide high quality teaching and research and for the advancement of knowledge and its dissemination through various research programmes undertaken in-house by full time faculty/research scholars. In this regard, it would be a matter of curiosity and investigation to note that the objective for which this institutions where declared as Deemed to be University are been achieved by these institutions.
6. Due to the deviation from the core objective, unique and emerging areas of knowledge, not being pursued by conventional or existing institutions. These institutions have become a money making factory. Hence, meritorious students with less financial status are not been able to pursue MBBS and less deserving students getting admission which is affecting the medical profession nobility and ultimately society. If the same situation prevails, medical education will be out of sight of society at large and parent with deep pocket may only see the dreams of medical education to their wards, which will be against the spirit and affordability of education to all.
7. In view of the above, the committee is requested to consider the above mentioned submission and reduce the fees of the Deemed to be universities to such an extent that it is affordable to all layers of the society and the same should be implemented from FY 2018-19 and applicable to all students irrespective of the year (i.e. 1st, 2nd or 3rd )they are studying, accordingly the balances should be adjusted in next years fee on proportionate basis.
Parents of students of Deemed Universities
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!