Help Us Create Positive Change for Young Women by Reducing Photoshop in Magazines
This petition had 4,909 supporters
Elle, Glamour, Women’s Health, Self, O Magazine, Redbook, Cosmopolitan, Vogue, Vanity Fair - we love you, but we’d love you even more if we saw a change on your covers and in your editorial this year. The extreme post-production editing used on the models in your photos just don’t represent real women, and we feel it’s time to change that.
We want to see cover girls and editorial in your magazines that don’t alter the already perfect bodies of the women you feature and don’t erase their fine lines or the unique attributes that make them truly beautiful. Remove a pimple or that crazy stray hair if you must, but other than that let their natural beauty shine!
Research shows that the beauty ideal represented in the images in your magazines is detrimental to our health. It perpetuates low self- confidence, depression, anxiety, over-spending and eating disorders. When you add photo retouching to already heavily produced images it elevates the problem even further.
- 69% of girls reported that magazine models influence their idea of the perfect body shape, yet the body type portrayed in advertising as the ideal is possessed naturally by only 5% of American females. (USA Today, The Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders)
- "47% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported wanting to lose weight because of magazine pictures." (Prevention of Eating Problems with Elementary Children)
- "From 2006 to 2013, the rate of females admitted to hospital in Canada for an eating disorder was stable, with one striking exception: among 10- to 19-year-olds, the rate increased by 42 per cent over the last two years." (Canadian Health Institute)
To the women and men who are the driving force behind these magazines, let’s join together to make a change that will positively impact our daughters, friends, sisters and the young women and girls in our communities. With media more accessible than ever and reaching the next generation younger and younger, the time is now. You are in the position to positively impact so many women and to set the standard for other forms of media to use more transparency in their production as well. You lead, inspire and influence millions of people around the world and we need your help to create a positive change. Please share your stance on the amount of photo retouching used in your pages and join us in starting a conversation about the use of Photoshop in media. We love Seventeen magazines, ‘Body Peace Treaty’ for example.
To the retailers, advertisers, influencers, gamechangers, bloggers and anyone who is on social media, we ask you to “be the change”. Help us present a more socially responsible representation of beauty that inspires, empowers and challenges us to embrace our perfectly imperfect selves!
1. Sign the petition and share it with your friends (thank you in advance, you game-changer!).
2. Help us flood social channels with images of raw beauty! Share your picture with no make-up, photo editing, or filters. Don’t forget to include the hashtag #LessIsMore and a link to the petition.
3. Encourage magazines and brands that are digitally enhancing their images to use less editing by sharing this petition with them on social media and by tagging them in images you feel are overly photoshopped with the hashtag #LessIsMore.
• #LessIsMore, (insert magazine handle here)! (link to petition) (link to potential before/after photo)
• I love you already (insert magazine handle here) but I would love you more if you took the time to read this --> #LessIsMore (Link to petition)
• LESS. IS. MORE. (insert handle here) (link to petition) (link to potential before/after photo) #LessIsMore
• Did you know 69% of girls reported that magazine models influence their idea of the perfect body shape? #LessIsMore (insert handle here) (link to petition)
• 47% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported wanting to lose weight because of magazine pictures. Help us change the stigma --> #LessIsMore (link to petition)
• Help @RawBeautyTalks convince magazines to use less Photoshop! #LessIsMore (link to petition)
Today: Samantha is counting on you
Samantha Ellis needs your help with “Reduce Photoshop in Magazines to Create A Better World for Girls”. Join Samantha and 4,908 supporters today.