Call for council to support car share at Redland Bay Marina
This petition made change with 213 supporters!
Residents of the Southern Morton Bay Islands are subject to unique transport challenges. Car share is an important part of the solution because:
- It improves the quality of life for Island residents. Car share users save time, money, and hassle.
- It is a more efficient allocation of limited foreshore car parking space.
- For every car share vehicle in the network, there will be ten fewer privately owned vehicles.* That equates to 40 additional car parks for the rest of the community at a cost of $0 to the council!
- Supporting car share is significantly cheaper to ratepayers than building more car parks.
- It is environmentally friendly. Car share users drive 2000km less per person, per year.*
- The total benefits to the community of each deployed vehicle, including reduced congestion and improved road safety, are estimated to be $71,000 annually.*
Many local councils around Australia support car sharing by designating specific parking exclusively for car share vehicles. Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane have allocated over 1,000 spaces for exclusive car share use. This petition calls upon Redland City Council for the allocation of just 4 spaces. This will enable Bay Islands Car Share to continue to operate and help resolve some of SMBI residents transport challenges.
* Independent Review, “The Impact of Car Share Services in Australia”, Phillipe Boyle and Associates, 2016.
Today: Bay Islands Car Share is counting on you
Bay Islands Car Share needs your help with “Redland City Council: Redland City Council to allocate car share parking at Redland Bay Marina”. Join Bay Islands Car Share and 212 supporters today.