Reject any plans for privatisation
This petition had 84,948 supporters
Privatisation is the handing over of government services to non-government service providers.
The government has released its flawed response to the the flawed ‘independent’ Costello report and has announced its plans for privatisation of health services, disability services, child protection, housing schools, and prisons. It's privatisation dressed up as contestability.
This document is not a blueprint for Queensland’s future, it’s a recipe for destruction. It represents an ideological goal of hollowed-out public services, job losses, less accountability to the public, and massive economic pain.
Here and abroad, privatisation has been a recipe for worse services, lower wages, and less access for those most in need.
Privatisation of public services means:
• No accountability for when service delivery goes wrong.
• No say for the community in the management of local hospitals, prisons or schools.
• Cost-cutting and job losses.
• Fewer services for people in need.
• Less access to services that regional families rely on.
• Less support for hospital patients, the elderly, the sick, and those in need.
• Private companies running our prisons for a profit.
• Schools that are run to focus on budgets and not the interests of the local community.
Campbell Newman promised that there would be no privatisation of Queensland assets ‘without a mandate’ but his government is now walking away from that promise, and walking away from its responsibility to deliver services.
We are saying to Campbell Newman: no privatisation, not now, not ever. Keep Queensland’s services public and accountable, not run by big companies for profit.
For the Queensland we all deserve.
Tweet to @theqldpremier today or send him a message on Facebook – and after you’ve done that, sign up to the Working for Queenslanders movement to help spread our message further.
Today: Working For Queenslanders is counting on you
Working For Queenslanders needs your help with “Queensland Premier Campbell Newman: Reject any plans for privatisation”. Join Working For Queenslanders and 84,947 supporters today.