Save Restaurant Row and our Forest Hills Community
This petition had 1,991 supporters
It is an unlikely venue, but the meeting hall for Community Board 6 is shaping up to be the battleground for the soul of Forest Hills. The soul we are referring to is the string of independently run restaurants now occupying 70th Road, just off Austin Street and edging up to Queens Boulevard (address: 107-18 70th Road). Locals like to call it Restaurant Row.
Unfortunately, outside dining on Restaurant Row may soon become a thing of the past. Lurking in the background are the greedy fangs of a Manhattan real estate developer. He will have to wipe out all the restaurants from where the former Santa Fe once stood on up to Aged Restaurant to build a mixed-use tower with retail on the first floor and office space on the second floor. Narita, Bangkok Cuisine, Cabana, among others, will all be lost.
As of right, the developer can build up to 7 floors but on Wednesday, February 10, he will appear before the Community Board 6 to apply for a special permit to build additional floors.
What are the implications to Forest Hills if this building goes through?
- We lose all of our outdoor dining. 70th Road is the only place in Forest Hills where outside dining takes place as it is prohibited by law on Austin Street.
- There will be a long-term impact on our community. Losing Restaurant Row will affect other local stores and businesses.
- There will be unbearable congestion. With a Target Express going up where Barnes and Nobles once was, plus the traffic a new apartment/retail complex will generate, residents can expect a steady stream of slow moving cars with no place to park.
- The aesthetic and historic quality of Forest Hills will be diminished.
Proponents say that the building will bring in additional tax revenue. However, this money will go into a general pot and not be earmarked for Forest Hills. It will go to places like Staten Island and Brooklyn and not remain in the community.
How can you help?
- This Wednesday, February 10, there is a Community Board 6 meeting in Kew Gardens (Kew Gardens Community Center, Room 202 / 80-02 Kew Gardens Road) and we need you to come. The neighborhood needs to send a strong message to the Community Board. We need to make our voices heard and speak up against the permit, and hopefully stop the entire project. Your attendance will show that the people of Forest Hills want to retain the character of our community.
- Sign this petition! If you cannot attend the Community Board meeting, please sign the petition and show your support.
The development will include the Santa Fe location up to Narita Restaurant. The Grill, Bangkok Cuisine, Cabana, MoCA Asian Cuisine and the former Santa Fe and Uno Pizzeria & Grill will all be lost.
On Wednesday, February 10, the developer appeared before the Community Board 6 to present his development plans and plans to apply for a special permit to build additional floors. There was no vote.
Today: Kecia is counting on you
Kecia Paredes needs your help with “Queens Communinty Board 06: Save Restaurant Row and our Forest Hills Community”. Join Kecia and 1,990 supporters today.