Qantas Flight 72: Forgotten Heroes!
Qantas Flight 72: Forgotten Heroes!
THE PEOPLE'S PETITION!
We the undersigned, are respectfully calling on the Australian Prime Minister, The Hon. Scott Morrison MP, Qantas Group Chairman, Mr Richard Goyder, Qantas Group CEO, Mr Alan Joyce, Airbus Group Chairman, Mr Rene Obermann, and Airbus Group CEO, Mr Guillaume Faury to publicly acknowledge and recognise the Qantas Flight 72 tech crew (The Big Three) for saving the lives of 315 passengers and crew on October 7, 2008.
- Captain Kevin ‘Sully’ Sullivan (Ret.)
- First Officer Peter Lipsett
- Second Officer Ross Hales
Against all odds, these courageous men skillfully pulled off one of the most remarkable near-death escapes in aviation history when they displayed great bravery in recovering a falling aircraft from the sky (twice) when all they could see through the cockpit window was the blue of the Indian ocean. Their bravery undoubtedly ensured the lives of all 315 passengers and crew was safely back in their hands. 119 passengers and crew were injured, twelve seriously, in what was described by many of the passengers and crew as the "Terror Flight from Hell!"
Sullivan a born American (who calls Australia his home) is a former US Navy Top Gun pilot who skillfully executed a military manoeuvre he had practised many times inside fighter jets during the cold war years and I can personally attest to the truth of that statement that had Sullivan not been at the helm of Qantas flight QF72 on October 7, 2008, then we would not have been able to tell the story.
Sullivan now medically retired faces an uphill battle in dealing with the struggles of managing his chronic PTSD every day as a direct result of flight QF72. A very modest and well-respected citizen, Sullivan downplays his heroics acknowledging that it was a team effort just doing their jobs.
Below are just some of the many written testimonies from passengers acknowledging the QF72 tech and flight crew for their heroic actions. Names have been withheld with respect to their privacy at this time.
- Your courage, expertise, and experience saved my young family’s life. You are all heroes! The crew absolutely exercised tremendous intelligence, skill, and professional composure to bring us home to our extended loved ones on that day.
- You should be all extremely proud of yourselves dealing with such arduous circumstances. Please uphold the faith in your judgment and ability, as you all saved many people that day.
- I spoke to the Pilot immediately following our emergency landing and although he was physically shaken and drained his first reaction was for the passengers and he travelled through the plane talking to the passengers and calming them. Again our deepest thanks and appreciation to your wonderful crew who were totally professional and deserve public recognition from the company for their actions.
- I am writing to thank you for saving the lives of my treasured daughters. If it weren’t for the swift skilled actions of the Captain and the care of the crew, their lives could have been cut short.
- The Qantas Chairman's Diamond Award: Awarded for valour and/or selflessness so extraordinary, that the reputation of the airline has been enhanced in the eyes of other Qantas staff and the Australian public.
- The Cross Of Valour (CV) is awarded only for acts of conspicuous Courage in circumstances of extreme peril. It is the highest Australian Bravery Decoration and the highest civilian Bravery award in Australia.
- QF72: Meet hero pilot Kevin Sullivan, whose quick thinking saved 315 people | 7NEWS Spotlight
- Readers Digest Article - True Stories / Survival / Flight QF72
- The Sun / UK / News - QF72 Glitch - Nosedive
- Sydney Morning Herald - I've Become Very Isolated - The Aftermath Of Near-Doomed QF72
- ATSB Transport Safety Report on 2008 Qantas Flight QF72 - Final
- Deadly Legacy Of Aircraft Automation
- S2E42 When “H.A.L.” takes over, Capt. Kevin “Sully” Sullivan
- No Man's Land - The Untold Story of Automation and QF72 by Kevin Sullivan
I owe my life to these heroes and we cannot even publicly acknowledge them more than 12 years after the fact.
So, I am asking you, please, please help fight for these heroes to give them the Recognition and Respect they deserve.
Sign the online petition and share it with your friends, family and networks to help build awareness. It won't take you long.
Thank you and God Bless,
TEAM SULLIVAN! ✊✊
#MenOfValor #CrossOfValour #315LivesMatter #QF72 #KaptKev #TeamSullivan #TopGun #FlyNavy #Automation #Qantas #Airbus #NoMansLand #HarperCollins #ABCBooks #PTSD #MentalHealth #KeepingTheFaith