Put An End to Long-term Homelessness in Australia
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
At the ‘Homeless, Not Hopeless’ Breakfast, we as members of the Ballarat Community, have decided to put an end to long-term Homelessness in Australia.
We are calling on you, as current and potential Parliamentary representatives of the community, to become a champion for the cause.
Homelessness causes people to lose their jobs, to become more vulnerable to episodes of mental-illness, to experience toxic stress, and to be more likely to become the victims of violence and preventable diseases. On any given night, more than 150,000 Australians will be homeless, and more than a quarter of those will be children.
On this bitterly cold morning in Ballarat, we have decided that this is unacceptable. If you are elected to Parliament, we request you do the following:
- Consider the effect on homeless Australians before voting on each piece of legislation
- Recognise the important role that our welfare safety net has in preventing people from becoming homeless, and consider the potential effects of any changes to welfare
- Understand the greater risk that homelessness puts on families in terms of physical health, and commit to protecting Medicare in its current form.
- Recognise the need for a National Housing Strategy.
- Recognise that negative gearing and capital gains tax exemptions protect investments, but place families renting at greater risk of becoming homeless, and commit to reform that protects renters as well as investors.
- Commit to an increase in funding to homelessness services across the country.
- Commit to raising the maximum age for children staying in Residential care to 21
We thank you for putting yourself forward as a representative for our community, and we trust that you will consider our request. This election presents a unique opportunity to end the cycle of homelessness, as a Homelessness Champion we trust that you will make the most of this opportunity.
Today: Ballarat Homlessness Network is counting on you
Ballarat Homlessness Network needs your help with “Put An End to Long-term Homelessness in Australia”. Join Ballarat Homlessness Network and 18 supporters today.