Petition for the Establishment of the
Asian and Asian American Resource and Cultural Center
At Purdue University
We, the undersigned, are petitioning for the establishment of an Asian and Asian American Resource and Cultural Center (AAARCC) at Purdue University. The goal of AAARCC is to promote knowledge and awareness of Asian and Asian American cultures and communities.
Currently, the Asian and Asian American student populations make up the largest racial minority group on campus. Unfortunately, a resource and cultural center does not currently exist to support the needs of this large community. In comparison, many Big Ten universities already have, or are in the process of acquiring, Asian and Asian American cultural centers. It is imperative for Purdue University to catch up with the growing needs of its student population. The establishment of AAARCC is essential at Purdue University and will benefit the Purdue community in the following ways:
• AAARCC will be open to all members of the Purdue community, and will serve to educate everyone about Asian and Asian American cultures and communities.
• AAARCC will meet the social, cultural, and psychological needs of Asian and Asian American students, the largest minority population , and the largest international populations at Purdue.
• Provide a home for the numerous Asian and Asian American undergraduate and graduate student organizations.
• Provide students interested in Asian and Asian American culture a collegial workspace to exchange ideas, provide support, and recognize each other as community members.
• Serve as a place for hosting lectures, workshops, films, and other social and cultural events focusing on Asian and Asian American cultures and themes.
• Serve as a space for developing the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work productively in a global context.
Victoria L started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,974 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.