Protect independent research in the EU budget
This petition had 24,323 supporters
One of the greatest success stories of the EU in the last decade is the European Research Council (ERC). Thanks to its unique formula of independence from political intervention, bold research ideas, a bottom-up approach, and singular focus on excellence, ERC grants have become one of the most prestigious research grants in the world.
In light of the current European debate on the next long-term EU budget (Multiannual Financial Framework), there is significant reason to fear a cut across all areas of Horizon Europe, the next European Research and Innovation programme, and we anticipate that this would also impact the ERC.
We, the signatories of this open letter to the leaders of the European Union, European scientists and academic leaders, call upon the Heads of States and Governments in Europe to secure funding of the ERC.
Thank you all for signing! We are excited to make it to more than 24,000 signatures! Your support matters in the debate on the EU budget.
The signatures have been sent to the EU Presidents to European ministers responsible for research and to MEPs.
We will close the petition and website shortly.
More information on www.friendsoftheERC.eu.
The European Research Council is a major reason for Europe´s increasing strength in research. Protecting and improving the ERC budget will secure continued investments in research that push the boundaries of our knowledge, and continues to strongly support Europe as a dynamic knowledge society.
- 75% of completed projects led to breakthroughs or major advances.
- ERC-grantees have received 7 Nobel Prizes, 4 Kavli Prizes and 4 Fields Medals
- Over 9,500 top researchers have been funded, with 2/3 of grantees under 40 years old.
- Over 70,000 team members, mostly PhD students and postdocs, supported – training the next generation of excellent researchers.
- ERC research led to over 150,000 articles published, with more than 6,100 articles among the top 1% highly cited.
- ERC projects have led to over 1,200 patent applications and over 100 new ventures.
Support ground-breaking research in Europe!
Today: Friends of the ERC is counting on you
Friends of the ERC needs your help with “Protect the European Research Council (ERC) in the EU budget”. Join Friends of the ERC and 24,322 supporters today.