Autism statistics from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) identify around 1 in 88 American children as on the autism spectrum–a ten-fold increase in prevalence in 40 years. Careful research shows that this increase is only partly explained by improved diagnosis and awareness. Studies also show that autism is four to five times more common among boys than girls. An estimated 1 out of 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls are diagnosed with autism in the United States.
- Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority
- Mass Bay Commuter Rail
- Massachusetts Department of Transportation
- City of Boston Mayor
Thomas M. Menino
- Massachusetts State House
- Massachusetts State Senate
- Massachusetts Governor
We are petitioning the State of Massachusetts and Transportation leaders to promote Autism awareness month.
Light It Up Blue, annually observed on April 2 is dedicated to raising awareness of autism. Autism Speaks, the world's largest autism science and advocacy organization, announced the launch of the inaugural Light It Up Blue campaign in 2010. This initiative is intended to raise international awareness of autism as a growing public health crisis in support of World Autism Awareness Day and Autism Awareness Month in the United States.
Some things that can be done -
* Commuter rail - car or two wrapped in a ad like the fallen soldier for April.
* Buses - bus or two wrapped in a ad for autism awareness for April.
* Signage inside of buses, trains and subway stations.
* Tours through facility for children affected by autism with media coverage.
* Governor Deval Patrick holding a press conference with media.
* Wrap a subway station wall with autism awareness ad - like N. Station.
* Light up the entrance Blue to the State Transportation Building.
* Light up Parkman Bandstand on Boston Common Blue
Blue is the color that represents Autism awareness.
Families who light up their porches and houses blue all stand UNITED.
Wont you stand united with the families affected by autism?
Vinnie Ingalls started this petition with a single signature, and won with 142 supporters. Start a petition to change something you care about.