Appeal to DPS Hyderabad: Take immediate steps to reduce the weight of school bag.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
It is well-known fact that weight of school bag has a bad effect on the health and growth of the kids.
We urge the school management to take *immediate* steps to reduce the weight of school bag carried by kids every day.
The central Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009 — better known as Right to Education (RTE) Act — clearly states that a schoolbag should not weigh more than 10% of a student's body weight, while kids in nursery and kindergarten should not carry bags at all. Moreover, it directs schools to provide cupboards and lockers to students to keep their belongings.
In current time table, almost all subjects are present every day, which means kids have to carry all text books and notebooks every day. And moreover, kids of certain classes have to climb 3 floors with such heavy bags.
How much does a child's schoolbag weigh currently?
Between 6-9 kg.
- Each book weighs about 500gm. Six to seven books weigh around 3.5 kg
- Each exercise book weighs 200-250 gm, adding up to 1.6 kg for six to seven of them
- Homework copies, drawing books, school diaries add up to 1 kg to the bag's weight
- Pencil box, geometry box, sketching and painting instruments weigh 700-800 gm
- Lunch box is 300-500 gm
- A water bottle generally weighs 900 gm or more
- The total weight of the bag is 8-9 kg
How much should a child's school bag ideally weigh?
For a child of 25-35 kg body weight, less than 2.5-3.5 kg.
- Structure the time table so only fewer books are needed on a single day.
- Provide individual locker facilities for kids to leave his/her books safely in school.
Today: Sri is counting on you
Sri Ji needs your help with “Principal of DPS: Appeal to DPS Hyderabad: Take immediate steps to reduce the weight of school bag.”. Join Sri and 239 supporters today.