Stop Building Statues! Build the Nation!
This petition had 69 supporters
Honorable Prime Minister of India,
I do realize that this is not exactly a safe time to raise your voice against government policies. But, I find it incredibly hard to silently witness the sheer wastage of more than ₹ 1,57,139.89 crore on building statues and other show-pieces, instead of building the nation:
- Statue of Unity of Sardar Patel, Gujarat (2014-2018) ~ ₹2,989 crore
- Shivaji Statue, Maharashtra ~ ₹ 3600 crore
- Temple at Meerut with your 100 ft. statue ~ ₹ 30 crore
- Deen Dayal Upadhyay Statues in all districts ~ ₹ 100 crore
- Bullet Train ~ ₹ 1,50,000 crore
- Ram Museum, Uttar Pradesh ~ ₹ 225 crore
- 100 mt. Lord Rama Statue, Uttar Pradesh ~ 195.89 crore
In a country where,
- 30 % of our population lives under International Poverty Line (highest in the world according to World Bank)
- Over 12,000 farmers commit suicide every year
- 95 % of our government schools don't meet Right to Education basic norms: 40 % of schools don't have electricity; 40 % don't have toilets; 75 % don't have science labs, 70% don't have computers; 25 % have teachers absent ; and only a negligible % are accesible for children with special needs
- There is one government allopathic doctor for every 10,189 people, one government hospital bed for every 2,046 people and one state-run hospital for every 90,343 people.
- Thousands die in Railway related accidents, due to poor maintenance and quality control
- Inflation, Unemployment, Rapes, Corruption, Pollution etc. - need I go on?
It shouldn't take rocket science to identify our priorities. We don't need statues, we need better governance, infrastructure, services, schools, hospitals, safety, toilets, electricity, roads, teachers, jobs, environmental policies, accessibility measures for the persons with disability and so much more.
Would anyone go and buy an expensive show-piece, if they have an uneducated child, an ailing grandmother, an unemployed youth, hardly any food, unclean water, no electricity, no toilet and a possibility of being raped or being crushed to death on the way to work? If not, it is my most humble request : "Stop building statues, build the nation!"
My deepest regards!
Today: Pallavi is counting on you
Pallavi Kulshrestha needs your help with “Prime Minister of India: Stop building statues, build the nation!”. Join Pallavi and 68 supporters today.