Have a single number for identifying companies, shops & establishments; simplify reporting
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Hon'ble Prime Minister,
A company, shop or establishment in India needs to file several reports and returns on a periodic basis. These reports and returns are filed with various departments and ministries of the central and state governments.
For the purpose of identifying the reporting establishment each of these departments assigns its own unique identification number to the establishment.
Also, while the filing is usually done online, each site has its own design, its own requirement of software required on the filing PC, and its own way of handling online payments.
The list of participating banks (for online payments) also varies widely from department to department.
This diversity in website design, filing PC software requirements and payment approaches make the business of filing inefficient and expensive.
The establishments filing these reports and returns regularly need to train staff in using different (sometimes proprietary) software and in navigating through widely differing website designs.
These establishments also need to keep upgrading software since the computer becomes prone to malware attacks if this is not done.
There is therefore an immediate need to standardise the entire filing and reporting exercise, by:
- having a single unique identifier for an organisation valid across all government sites, instead of an ever increasing set of different identifiers assigned by different departments
- having a single, encrypted, secured and standardised filing website, with links to various departments. Each department's sub-site should also have a uniform filing interface
- requiring only free open source software on the filing computers
- having a uniform online payment approach, and a uniform list of participating banks
This would simplify filing and reporting for the establishments, increase productivity, reduce the cost of compliance and further the digitalisation of information and planning.
I petition you to take this up on high priority so that the present inefficiencies are stopped immediately.
To drive home the point, a (partial) list of identification numbers assigned by various central and state government departments is given below:
1. Finance Ministry
- Income Tax Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- Income Tax Tax Deduction at Source Account Number (TAN)
- Central Excise Registration Number
- Service Tax Registration Number
2. Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA)
- Companies Identification Number (CIN)
3. Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT)
- Import Export Code (IEC)
4. Ministry of Labour and Emplyment
- Labour Identification Number (LIN)
- Provident Fund Department Registration Number
- Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Registration Number
5. Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
- Udyog Aadhaar Number (UAN) - MSME Ministry
6. Commercial Tax Department
- Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- Central Sales Tax (CST) Registration No
At present the variations on software requirements in the filing PCs include:
- Sites which require Adobe Acrobat on the filing PC
- Sites which require Java on the filing PC
- Sites which require Microsoft Excel on the filing PC
- Sites which require Dot Net framework on the filing PC
- Sites which require Visual Basic on the filing PC
Today: Pankaj is counting on you
Pankaj Sethi needs your help with “Prime Minister of India: Simplify reporting for Indian companies, shops and establishments”. Join Pankaj and 69 supporters today.