Create a World-Class Transportation Regulatory & Safety Agency in Bangladesh
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,500!
The Government of Bangladesh should take immediate steps to establish an Independent Transportation Regulatory & Safety agency.
This is not a petition just to rename the current regulatory body (Bangladesh Road Transport authority), but to replace it with a brand-new agency from the ground up.
The agency should be guided by the following principals
- The New regulatory body should be managed by an independent board instead of the communications ministry.
- The board should consist of various stakeholders(Industry representatives, commuters) and technical experts, instead of political or administrative appointees. (Similar to organizations like BBC)
- The board will appoint the senior management including the head of the agency, and review their performance.
- The agency should be funded by vehicle & license registration fee as well as funds collected from tickets issued for traffic violations.
- The agency should have its own training institution(s) to train skilled personals.
- All positions of the agency can only be filled by personnel trained by the agency’s own training institutions. (Similar to the military)
- No active duty government officials (civil or military) should be appointed to any position at the agency.
- The agency has to publish quarterly reports on key performance indicators(KPI) like Accident rate, the average speed of vehicles, environmental impact, congestion level, traffic violations etc.
- The agency should have the power to create and enforce its’ own rules and regulation, including its own police force. (Similar to Metropolitan Transportation Authority of New York)
Ilias Kanchan interview: Safe Road in Bangladesh
Today: Change is counting on you
Change Bangladesh needs your help with “Prime minister of Bangladesh: Create a World-Class Transportation Regulatory & Safety Agency in Bangladesh”. Join Change and 1,017 supporters today.