Declare FSU a Sanctuary Campus
This petition had 667 supporters
Dear President John E. Thrasher,
On January 25, 2017, President Trump confirmed his commitment to cracking down on sanctuary cities across the United States. Recently we have seen a spike in violence toward undocumented immigrants and refugees, and with the Trump administration vowing to withhold federal grant money from sanctuary cities, these populations are in further jeopardy. We the students, alumni, faculty, and staff on this campus feel that it is pertinent to implement a plan to declare our campus a sanctuary in support of all undocumented students, staff, faculty, and their family members, especially those who face imminent deportation. Per an internal 2011 memo of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, officers are subject to certain restrictions upon entering college campuses without authorization. This puts Florida State University in an important and unique position, which it can and should use to protect community members from law enforcement. It is, we believe, the responsibility of FSU to ensure that it remains a place where the administration actively protects the rights and safety of all members of its community.
President Thrasher, you have publicly come out in support of protecting Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Dreamers, claiming that “it’s the right thing to do” and that you will “help these students and others find a better path to the future.” We, the community at FSU, believe that our faculty and administration must be held accountable for providing safety and resources to all its students no matter the circumstances.
We ask you, President Thrasher, will you uphold the garnet and gold and protect our fellow classmates, professors, colleagues, families, and friends from this unjust treatment?
We respectfully ask that you implement the following actions as quickly as possible:
1) Issue a public statement reaffirming the university’s commitment to support and protect all its students and workers, regardless of their citizenship status, religion, ethnicity, or national origin.
2) Reaffirm the university’s commitment to create a campus atmosphere of respect by denouncing hate speech towards any individual(s).
3) Declare Florida State University to be a sanctuary campus that will actively refuse to comply with immigration authorities regarding deportations, raids, or removal of funds & scholarships.
4) Guarantee student privacy by refusing to release information regarding the immigration status or religious affiliation of our students and community members.
5) Create an undocumented student program, with a full-time director, and free on-campus access to legal counsel. Appropriate funds to assist undocumented students, faculty, staff and their family members who are in need.
a. For current DACA recipients, guarantee that all merit-based scholarships they are awarded will not be forfeited if the DACA program is to be rescinded.
b. Protect in-state tuition consideration to current DACA recipients as well as any Florida high school graduate (regardless of immigration status) who meets domicile requirements for in-state tuition consideration.
c. Include DACA recipients and undocumented students in all merit, university, and diversity initiative scholarship eligibility.
6) Ensure that all students receive a campus, classroom, and community experience free of hostilities, aggressions, and bullying regarding immigration status. Communicate unequivocally and repeatedly that undocumented students are full members of the Florida State University community who will be protected to the fullest power of the administration.
7) Create and distribute information about an administrative mechanism for reporting hate and bias incidents to appropriate state and federal agencies.
The College Democrats at FSU
The College Progressives at FSU
The Ethical Food Association at Florida State (EFA)
The Filipino Student Association at FSU (FSA)
FSU Environmental Service Program (ESP)
Hispanic Latino Student Union
Amnesty International at FSU
Today: The College Democrats is counting on you
The College Democrats at FSU needs your help with “President Thrasher: Declare FSU a Sanctuary Campus”. Join The College Democrats and 666 supporters today.