Petition Closed

Stop Veterans from accessing their GI benefits if they are not paying child support.

This petition had 118 supporters

Everyday someone separates from the military in order to pursue a college degree. When they do, they receive unemployment for 6 months upon separation, as well as, full E-5 with dependent Basic Housing Allowance. The problem comes when these Veterans fail to pay child support and claim that they cannot obtain employment due to going to college. In turn, the courts drastically reduce the amount of child support the person must pay. Currently, regardless if you are behind on child support, you are still able to maintain you GI Bill and the benefits. Most states will not allow you to renew your drivers license, car registration, receive your tax return, and some may even issue a warrant for your arrest, it is reported on your credit report and so on. I am starting this petition in hopes of changing this law and loophole. I firmly believe that you shouldn't be able to utilize your GI benefits if you are behind on child support payments. Classes and BAH should be dropped immediately if a lapse in child support payments occurs. You should only be allowed to continue to use you GI benefits when you are up to date on child support payments. I am a single mother and an active duty service member. I am trying to permanently take the GI bill away from anyone that has served in the military, I am hoping to stop the GI bill for veterans who have failed to pay child support. 

Today: Lauren is counting on you

Lauren Stearns needs your help with “President of the United States: Stop Veterans from accessing their GI benefits if they are not paying child support.”. Join Lauren and 117 supporters today.