For Timely Winter Session of Parliament
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
WE THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, are deeply disturbed by the absence of any firm announcement from the Government about when and for how long our Parliament will meet this winter (2017). Until last year, Parliament would assemble mid-November, as per convention. We urge you to remind the Government about its constitutional duty to advise you to convene Parliament in a timely manner.
There are several burning issues of public interest that require urgent attention and debate, such as:
· Slowing down of the economy and the shrinking job market;
· Unending phenomenon of farmers’ suicides;
· Frequent deaths of infants and children in government hospitals;
· Hunger deaths that are casually attributed to chronic malnutrition;
· Recurrent instances of vigilantism targeting freedom of choice and freedom of religion;
· Growing number of instances of sexual violence against women and children;
· Increasing murderous attacks on journalists, whistleblowers, RTI activists and human rights defenders;
· Criminalisation of people’s right to free speech and expression;
· Brutal suppression of student movements and trampling upon the autonomy of Universities and other academic institutions; and
· Growing tension on our international borders.
A delayed winter session deprives our MPs of the opportunity to hold the Government accountable on these and other issues of public importance.
Several important Bills such as the Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Bill, Lokpal and Lokayuktas (Amendment) Bill, the Code on Wages Bill, the Inter-State River Waters Dispute (Amendment) Bill are currently pending. If Parliament does not meet on time, their enactment will be delayed further.
As our Head of State, we urge you to require the Government to tender advice to you to convene Parliament without any delay and for an adequate period of time.
Through you, we appeal to all our MPs to take up parliamentary business earnestly and with due regard to our democratic aspirations.
Today: Venkatesh is counting on you
Venkatesh Nayak needs your help with “President of India: Petition Rashtrapatiji to Ensure Timely Winter Session of Parliament”. Join Venkatesh and 413 supporters today.