President Obama: Stop Japanese Whalers From Hunting in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary
This petition had 3,870 supporters
Mr. President: Take strong action to stop the Japanese from killing whales in the Southern Ocean Antarctic Whale Sanctuary
“The President must take swift and decisive action against Japan's illegal whaling."
Under the Pelly Amendment and the Packwood-Magnuson Amendment, the President has the power to apply economic sanctions against Japan for its continued whale slaughter in the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary. The United States asserts that it resolutely opposes whale hunting by Japan, but does little to actually bring a halt to the practice.
Let's Change That
The U.S. State Dept. has declared: “We remain resolute in our opposition to commercial whaling, including so-called ‘scientific’ whaling, in particular in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary established by the International Whaling Commission. In this context we wish to emphasize that lethal techniques are not required in modern whale conservation and management.”
Below Are The IWC Scientific Permit Review Guidelines. In order to obtain the permit, the organization and it's research should fall under these:
Although the issuance of special permits is the responsibility of the member government concerned, proposed permits have to be submitted for review by the Scientific Committee [link to ‘simple’ Scientific Committee]. The Scientific Committee’s review concentrates on whether:
(1) the permit adequately specifies its aims, methodology and the samples to be taken;
(2) the research is essential for rational management, the work of the Scientific Committee or other critically important research needs;
(3) methodology and sample size are likely to provide reliable answers to the questions being asked;
(4) the questions can be answered using non-lethal research methods;
(5) the catches will have an adverse effect on the stock;
(6) the potential for scientists from other nations to join the research is adequate.
Be Sure To "Like" Our Facebook Page! facebook.com/antiwhaling
You Can Also "Follow" US On Twitter! twitter.com/NoWhaling
Today: Collin is counting on you
Collin Lee needs your help with “President Obama: Stop Japanese Whalers From Hunting in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary”. Join Collin and 3,869 supporters today.