Make Gettysburg College a Smoke-Free Campus
This petition had 39 supporters
Have you ever been walking to class and been smacked in the face with the awful smell of smoke?
Have you ever been trying to cool down your room at night but can't open your window because if you do your room will fill up with smoke?
You might not think that second hand smoke is 'that bad' but this might change your mind:
- Secondhand smoke causes approximately 7,330 deaths from lung cancer and 33,950 deaths from heart disease each year. (1)
- Between 1964 and 2014, 2.5 million people died from exposure to secondhand smoke, according to a report from the U.S. Surgeon General. (1)
- The report also concluded that secondhand smoke is a definitive cause of stroke. (1)
- There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke and even short-term exposure can increase the risk of heart attacks. (2)
The fact is, second hand smoke directly hurts people. Please help make Gettysburg College a place where everyone is safe.
1. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking—50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General. 2014.
2. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General. 2006.
Today: Anonymous is counting on you
Anonymous Anonymous needs your help with “President JMR: Make Gettysburg College a Smoke-Free Campus”. Join Anonymous and 38 supporters today.