CURRENTLY UNDER THREAT FROM DEVELOPMENT APPLICATION TO COUNCIL
~2 STOREY MODERN BUILDING - 668 square metres over two floors for multi purpose use substantially blocks the view of the heritage church from Alt Street
~Noise from the proposed kitchen areas, amenities block, outdoor terraces and function rooms will impact neighbours
~Surrounding neighbourhood will be affected by more traffic, lack of parking and traffic noise.
~The building would have up to 200 people at any one time.
~Proposed hours of operation is from 7am until 10pm – 7 days a week
~Removal of mature, healthy trees along the site boundary
~Two car parks, surfaced with gravel, on the heritage site will impact the trees, grassed areas and the graves on Bland and Alt streets
St John’s has been at the centre of the Ashfield community and has been a focal point for the locality from its construction in 1845, before most of the suburb was developed. It is the first church built on the route between Sydney and Parramatta. The cemetery contains graves of notable citizens including convict, John Limeburner, Thomas Walker and his daughter, Dame Eadith Walker of Yaralla Estate, Concord, and others.
THIS BEAUTIFUL AND RARE PARKLIKE ESTATE SHOULD NOT BE DISTURBED AND SHOULD CONTINUE TO BE PRESERVED AND TREASURED AS A SIGNIFICANT PART OF ASHFIELD’S AND SYDNEY’S EARLY HISTORY.