Pres. Aquino, SolGen Francis Jardeleza: Investigate the legality of SM's ownership of Luneta Hill, Baguio City
This petition had 2,952 supporters
We, concerned citizens of the City of Baguio, along with the rest of the country and the world, are begging you, Mr. President, to stand up for our beloved city's environment, heritage, dignity and future by having SM Investments Corporation's ownership of Luneta Hill, Baguio City investigated and stopping the planned removal of trees on Luneta Hill by SM City Baguio to pave the way for their expansion plan involving a commercial building and a parking facility for the following reasons:
1. SMIC acquired the property at a grossly underpriced cost of P2,027.34 per square meter for a property which had a zonal value as of 1998 of at least P60,000.00 per square meter.
2. To this day SM City Baguio has yet to acquire a valid title to the property and the Deed of Absolute Sale that bears your name does not bear your signature. Not to mention that the document was notarized not by government lawyers but by some notary public in Tutuban, Manila. We believe that this is highly suspect that merits an investigation by your office/administration. .
3. SM City Baguio is already the biggest commercial center in the city enjoying a lion's share of the market - their expansion plan that will result in the removal of 182 trees is unjustified.
4. Their claim of soil erosion problems in the area will not be solved by removing the trees therein and building two huge concrete structures - common sense dictates that this will, in fact, raise the risk of landslides and flooding in lower lying areas due to increased water run-off. Besides, their own witness has testified in court that the presence of soil erosion issues within the expansion site does not affect the existing building and the planting of more trees and protection of the existing ones can better address the problem.
5. The natural beauty of the City of Baguio, known all over the world as the City of Pines, has been deteriorating rapidly due to a misdirected sense of development. The removal of one of the few remaining forest covers in our city's central business district will further exacerbate the situation.
6. Our country has been hit by several natural calamities in the last couple of years that resulted in loss of lives and properties. In most cases, as in during the twin typhoons "Ondoy" and "Pepeng" and the more recent "Pablo," deforestation has been cited as among the culprits for the extreme destruction that was wreaked upon us. The removal of more than a hundred trees, in today's world plagued with extreme weather conditions due to climate change, on a hillside where schools are located directly below it places lives, particularly that of students, at risk.
7. The pine trees of Baguio are an invaluable part of its heritage - sacrificing more than a hundred of them to serve the interests of a single corporation is unjust.
8. We do not subscribe to the point of view that SM City Baguio can do as it pleases within their private property - the freedom and rights of one end where the freedom and rights of another begin. We, the people, have a right to a healthy and safe environment. our constitution guarantees that.
9. Our own mayor has turned his back on us, saying "I cannot do anything." And he did just that - nothing. Our own city council failed to address the issue. And recently, the court has ruled against us in the case we filed against SM, DENR and DPWH.
You are our only hope.
10. Show us that "tuwid na daan" is more than just a slogan but a principled and determined stand against injustice and oppression for the welfare of the greater majority.
Today: Karlo Marko is counting on you
Karlo Marko Altomonte needs your help with “Pres. Aquino, SolGen Francis Jardeleza: Investigate the legality of SM's ownership of Luneta Hill, Baguio City”. Join Karlo Marko and 2,951 supporters today.